Upgrading Mom's GPU

I didn't recommend him any Radeons b/c I'm not familiar with them at all. But Atomic's recommendation sounds pretty good. Very cheap too.

The power supply in that HP Pavilion doesn't supply enough power for an 8600GT. They require at least a 350W PSU with 22A on the 12V rail. Even a 7600GT needs 350W w/18A.

You could use a GIGABYTE GV-RX24P256H Radeon HD 2400PRO. It's only $42.99 and should handle the games you want to play.

Interesting card, i'll check it out.

I didn't recommend him any Radeons b/c I'm not familiar with them at all. But Atomic's recommendation sounds pretty good. Very cheap too.

Yeah, I'm not either, and I will usually use/recommend Nvidia products, but its funny how 3/6 of the computers in my house use ATI.

Hmm,I Think it would be wise to upgrade to a 400w PSU Just to be on the safe side if adding an nVidia 7 series.

I see.

Well, since I'm trying to keep this a very simple upgrade JUST so I can literally play ONE game, I don't see any of these upgrades making sense. I should probably just consider getting a low-end card and sticking it in there. There's no reason to spend much money at all on this. As I said, I probably get to play this game once every two or three weeks. I don't game much as time is spent on college and girls now. :rolleyes:

Grrr.... the hunt for the perfect cheap card.

well if you decide to do it I reckon the 7600GT is the go. The only games I really play these days are rfactor and some times need for speed and i use a 7600GT and a G25. Runs great for me.

Maybe an nVidia 7 series? I think 6 wouldn't work as it's AGP is it not?
The PCI-E started at the 6200TC, and then to the a 6600GT
Well, here's my argument: I think a 8600GT is .bit too much if you're gonna game on it every now and then. I mean, if you have the money go for it, but I'd say a 7 series would be just fine. I mean they're not horrible.
Indeed, but he might need a new PSU.

Get a 9600gt
Worthless, and tower won't take it either. People don't need that much. Plus, she has a 250W.
The power supply in that HP Pavilion doesn't supply enough power for an 8600GT. They require at least a 350W PSU with 22A on the 12V rail. Even a 7600GT needs 350W w/18A.

You could use a GIGABYTE GV-RX24P256H Radeon HD 2400PRO. It's only $42.99 and should handle the games you want to play.
I know the 8400GS takes less wattage, but I do remember, my PSU is around 275W, and I have my third-party botherboard hooked with a 8500GT.

Back
Top Bottom