japan gets 1.6Gb/s

i just dont under stand why fiber optics isnt offering faster speeds....

A single fiber strand offers up to 10Gb on our current technology. The speed limit is caused by the fiber transceivers, so todays 10Gb fiber can likely do 100Gb or more.

Also, you can trunk fibers together to get massive speeds, for example on some high end switches you could do a 40Gb fiber (ethernet) trunk (100Gb non trunked ethernet is just around the corner though). You can also do 40Gb SONET lines as well.

A single fiber strand offers up to 10Gb on our current technology. The speed limit is caused by the fiber transceivers, so todays 10Gb fiber can likely do 100Gb or more.

Also, you can trunk fibers together to get massive speeds, for example on some high end switches you could do a 40Gb fiber trunk.

Wow. That's amazing. So what you're saying is if we can better our fiber transceivers (is that what receives the data?) our speed can go up to 100GB? That's assuming we're using more than 1 fiber strand right?

whats faster than fiber optics? im talkin about the little clear wire sorta thingy. know what i mean?

this whole thread is makin my head hurt from thinking, lol

ping that bad shit was is ping so bad
also whats better lower ping or faster dl speeds
]

HUH? Talk English boy! :D

Everyones complaining about 8mb internet going to slow,around my area,the fastest internet we can possibly get is 384kbs.......

Wow. That's amazing. So what you're saying is if we can better our fiber transceivers (is that what receives the data?) our speed can go up to 100GB? That's assuming we're using more than 1 fiber strand right?

Naah, thats on a single strand of fiber.

not even we must be really capping it if my internet speed is only 17.5 mb/s
thats using fiber like in a building
how many strans r in a cable?

Yeah fiber is extremely expensive though. That's why cable and Fiber optic internet is still fairly selective. Isnt fiber a million a mile? I'm sure it's cheaper now... but fiber wont be really widely available until fiber is cheaper.

not even we must be really capping it if my internet speed is only 17.5 mb/s
thats using fiber like in a building
how many strans r in a cable?

17.5Mb is a REALLY fast internet speed, far above the national average. I'm assuming your using cable (Remember with cable, you share that 38Mb line with many other people, its not dedicated to you unlike DSL)

Consumer Ethernet grade fiber is single stand typically, and "ISP grade" fiber is 12 strands a ribbon. Here's a comparison pic I took.

Back
Top Bottom