japan gets 1.6Gb/s

It runs the same speed on all of them... But fiber can fit a LOT more electrons. And dial-up runs off the same lines as the phones, and every house has a phone, so the lines are much more used, and can only allow so much. DSL is dedicated service line, so it is made for that, and therefor can allow a lot more electrons per household.

I think. In all the different connections, dial-up, DSL, T3, T1, cable, FIOS, wireless, Satellite, the signel travels at a slightly slower then light speed. The speed of electricity is ever so slightly slower then light I think, not enough to make a difference though, so basically, the signel travels at the speed of light.
With a satelite, it has to go really far up, the same back down, and then over again to send a signel back.

Latency on a satellite is roughly 1000ms since it takes a 500ms for the signal to travel 22,500 miles to the satellite then 500ms to travel back to your receiver.

Now that would be awesome for downloading. If they could just use a secondary connection perhaps a simple dsl that relays the info in twitch shooters while the satellite somehow handles the bulk of the transferring.

wouldnt it be 2000ms?
You click the "post reply" button, it sends a signel up to the satelite, 500ms, then the satelite sends the request down to earth, 500ms, then the server sends the page up to the satelite, 500ms, then back to you, 500ms, so a total of 2000ms.
That would suck for playing crysis online, lol.

wouldnt it be 2000ms?
You click the "post reply" button, it sends a signel up to the satelite, 500ms, then the satelite sends the request down to earth, 500ms, then the server sends the page up to the satelite, 500ms, then back to you, 500ms, so a total of 2000ms.
That would suck for playing crysis online, lol.

I can't be certain on that. I know when I was shopping around between Wireless or Satellite they claimed around 1000MS delays. On DSL reports I saw most averaging around 1200-1500MS.

They say right in the Q/A that its worthless for gaming because of the ping.

I think. In all the different connections, dial-up, DSL, T3, T1, cable, FIOS, wireless, Satellite, the signel travels at a slightly slower then light speed.

Is this list in order? 'Cause I have cable. I want to upgrade as download speed is only about 4500kb tops and up load 150kb lol. Which one would I be better off with, T3, T1. I'm just posting this here as I don't think of it a big enough topic for its own thread.

No, it's not in any order. If you have cable, you are pretty much up there with the better. Fios would be better if you can get it, but otherwise, you are already at the best you can get. T1 and T3 arent exactly faster, as more of dedicated, for schools and busineses. T3 is pretty fast though. 100mbs connections, but you also are going to be paying a LOT of money, so stick with cable, or get some kind of fiber.

Man because here's the thing. I get disconnected a lot. It's just like a split second disconnection and if I'm playing a shooter it completely disconnects me from the server. Not a problem there but then when I try to get back my ID is still in the server and I have to wait about a minute. Really annoying when you get it every 5 minutes. Btw, is FIOS=Fiber Optics? 100mbs for T3? Man I thought tops was around 40s.

No, it's not in any order. If you have cable, you are pretty much up there with the better. Fios would be better if you can get it, but otherwise, you are already at the best you can get. T1 and T3 arent exactly faster, as more of dedicated, for schools and busineses. T3 is pretty fast though. 100mbs connections, but you also are going to be paying a LOT of money, so stick with cable, or get some kind of fiber.

T3's are 45Mb's and T1's are 1.54Mb

Cable is 38Mb maximum and ADSL is 8Mb* and ADSL2+ is 24Mb :)

T3's are 45Mb's and T1's are 1.54Mb

Cable is 38Mb maximum and ADSL is 8Mb* and ADSL2+ is 24Mb :)

Oh ok. Thank you. I have many more questions but I guess I will just make a thread on it because it's turning out to create more questions than answering them.

Back
Top Bottom