Spam.

how about a brief mandatory survey about whatever we decide.
most spammers just create an account, and spam. if we start to mandate a survey or like an application process, that might turn some spammers away

you mean a captacha, that might help but I reckon most spammings on CF aren't done with a bot so it would only delay it by 3 seconds lol. Just trying to brainstorm here but a couple times it's because of the way the argument ended with a few members here who felt bitter and decided to spam like the way BF2 Player did and wasn't Rudster another suspect? I can't really remember right now but I'm sure there's been a few, not much you can do I guess though...

Virtually all spam here is bots.

It is hard as previous members with grudges make multiple accounts then spam us or kids for that matter will do it for fun. sad really.

Virtually all spam here is bots.

ahk, my mistake. I was probably thinking about the angry users spam which is just a pointless photo, like the account 'Brookfeild' or something and a few people thought the real Brooky went nuts lol. I've only seen a couple of the threads with random letters in it followed by photos and links...

I think that we (the mods) are doing all that we can in terms of seeing and moving spam, that job is made a lot easier by the members who report posts,
regularly I get to work and respond to the spam posts and then generally just stay online all the time I'm at work and when I get an email about a spam post I just respond.
though it is clear that sometimes there are long times when no mods are online. perhaps this could be fixed with another mod.
though for that to happen David would have t identify when the mods are online and identify the times that no mods are around, and possibly try to find a peg to fit that hole.

as said earlier, David has set up some filter banning certain keywords and addresses so that some perticularly prevailant spam is blocked from even being posted.
also he's been implementing IP blocks and bans...
however it is clear that blanket bans can be a bad thing and stop legitimate users from accessing the site. so these measures are carfeully weighed up. it might be that a seemingl obvious fix is never impllemented because the effects of the fix are too far ranging...

like it'd be possible to stop spam on the site all together by removing the ability to leave messages and posts, but this wouldn't be helpfull to all the legitimate users.

some say make a rule about replying to ten threads before beng able to create a new post. but this will only serve to stop new people signing up when they come here just to get some help.

Something has go to be done lol,We have had some many in the past week or two lol.

instead of just saying that, how about some helpful input as to how to resolve it, a few IP's have been banned and the mods do all they can. we are not paid to do this, it is voluntary, and they get cleared as soon as a mod gets online.

Yea I mean if someone is spamming there is no way to stop them from spamming. They can come back with a different account but it will never end.

Something has go to be done lol,We have had some many in the past week or two lol.

Well,a reason i made this thread was to get some suggestions on what could be done.I Know the mods are doing the best they can and that david is doing the best he can aswell.The Only Suggestion i can think of is to spread out the moderator's time zones (Example,1 mod per 2nd time zone),so we would have atleast 1 moderator on all the time

Well,a reason i made this thread was to get some suggestions on what could be done.I Know the mods are doing the best they can and that david is doing the best he can aswell.The Only Suggestion i can think of is to spread out the moderator's time zones (Example,1 mod per 2nd time zone),so we would have atleast 1 moderator on all the time

Not saying that's a bad Idea, but take human nature into account and that'll fall apart. General online-times can change depending on the day of the week. What works great for weekends may be horrible on weekdays.

I'm not going to speak for every mod here, but I won't mind having another person to help us. Big problem is what time zone?

David, if you look at RGF's banned list, you'll see how much I've banned, so you might as well input that to CF.

Back
Top Bottom