what server to get

chuck4100

Solid State Member
hi, im looking to get a server for hosting internet games for me and my friends. i dont know anything at all about servers and was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations, im looking for something small, like a tower not a rack, and more to memory and processing rather than storage. i dont want to spend a heap of cash on something new just maybe an old refurbished unit. any recommends? thanks for your input.

hi, im looking to get a server for hosting internet games for me and my friends. i dont know anything at all about servers and was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations, im looking for something small, like a tower not a rack, and more to memory and processing rather than storage. i dont want to spend a heap of cash on something new just maybe an old refurbished unit. any recommends? thanks for your input.
visit ur local collage n head to surplus or ask if the collage is selling old servers. trust me, collages r always buying new toys n getting ride of the old one cheap!

I don't know much about servers either, but you could build your own. It's way easier than you think. I built my first computer when i was 13!:)
That way you can have exactly what you want.

P.S. - I'm not sure but I have heard that changing maps is hard on the processor, so u might want a dual core depending on how much u use it. (Don't take my word for this though)

ya, ive built a few comps too, but i know servers have different things and different operating system or something that allows like 16+gb ram and different types of mobos. plus if i build my own i'd tend to buy new parts and spend too much.

ya, ive built a few comps too, but i know servers have different things and different operating system or something that allows like 16+gb ram and different types of mobos. plus if i build my own i'd tend to buy new parts and spend too much.

The OS (Windows Server) allows for 16GB of RAM (If the Hardware supports it).
You can buy Server motherboard on newegg and some even have dual processors!
Here is server motherboards
This Motherboard supports 32GB of RAM

im gonna have my friend check out his college, but i looked on ebay a bit and wanted to know what any of you thought of these

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-PowerEdge-...ryZ51229QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Duel-Xeon-1-8-G...oryZ1484QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Simply no for the first one.

Setting up a gameserver is fairly complex.

First thing you should worry about internet connection, you can`t have a great gameserver on a standard residential internet connection. First thing to look at is static IP.

Second thing is what games, and what type of performance do you wantÉ Modern games will require better hardware than what you have selected. But for a basic game like CS, I can run a 66 tick 500 (set, not real) FPS server on a P4 2.53, and thats cutting it fairly close. 100 tick is not doable, even at 66 tick the latency gets a bit high.

Ram depends on what you want to run, a stripped down server running a single instance of Steam Server (CS:S, HL2, etc) or something like COD2 will run on 512 ram.

Third, hard drive speeds matters ALOT for loading times. However a modern 7200 RPM drive with 16 meg of cache will suffice.

A cheap Core2Duo with 2GB of ram and a new seagate 7200.11 drive will run circles around any used server under 250, it`s the route i`d recommend unless you need ultra-high reliability.

I`ve ran quite a few gameservers, so feel free to give me a shout on AIM or MSN if you need anymore help.

EDIT: Running linux instead of windows can also really help on gameservers :D Using CentOS or Ubuntu for a game server is fairly easy.

Back
Top Bottom