Hdd Mirror :D

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Ok, so I got my hands on a Compaq Presario 1700, works fine :p for what it's worth lol.

Alright, 10gb hdd. Wont cut it.

I bought a 60bg IDE Laptop harddrive.. Now I face the problem of the OS. Is there a way to make a mirror of your existing hdd (all the files, the os, everything) and put them on your new hdd? So no reinstallation is reguired?

I don't feel like "Getting" it.. A new XP

oh yeah, it can have up to 512 mb (2x256) ddr ram. Looking it up I find there is like, ddr 100, 200, 311, 432 (random numbers.. just saying there are different types...)

Wtf is the difference? lol what should I get? the highest? :D

ive heard of backing everything up on a disk and putting it on a new HDD but never heard getting everything including the OS.

Im sure that wasnt any help at all srry...lol

Yup, you can use a program called Norton Ghost.

If you go to the drive manufacturer's website, I'm sure they have a setup utility that will transfer the entire contents of your drive to the new drive.

Your question about the RAM:

The new module has to be the same number as the old one. For instance, if you have PC100 RAM, you HAVE to get another stick of PC100 RAM. Some sticks are backwards compatible, but it's better to get the same thing. It all depends on what your PC will take.

Yes, it's fully usable. It's an exact copy of the entire contents of the old drive including the OS.

I've used Maxtor's drive utility to transfer the contents of an old drive to a new Maxtor drive and it worked perfectly. It takes a bit of time to transfer depending on the size of the drive.

To find out what memory the computer is using, download CPU-Z. It will tell the type, amount, and speed of your installed memory.

Thanks for the memory program. I don't know if the memory it has is internal or not.

Now that I think about it, it cant be. What kind of company would start a laptop with a 500mhz processor and 384 mbs of ram? Or even 384 mbs of ram at all lol... I'll open it up and see if it's in the outer part or not.

And I guess I'll google for a trial version of something that can copy my drive... :D

Ok, got the mirror, or downloading now... taking a while. I'm downloading it to the laptop and I guess I will save it on to a Jump Drive.

I had a question, for got what it was.

Oh yes, When I turn on the lap top, it has a user name (the previous owner) and a pass box( empty, of course) Like the ones on the school computers after you press ctrl alt delete... How do I get it off? You can just press ok, with no pass word, and it will log on ok.. but still. It's kind of annoying..

Edit**

Ran into something. I made the backup file with the OS and everything else on it. It's a .tib , as I read it would be... Now, when I get my new hdd, how do I go about putting it on there? I'm assuming that putting it on a jumpdrive and booting from it wont work.. it's .tib. So maybe you need Acronis True Image to open it? Well then what's the point.. I would have to have an os on there already :p I don't have my new hdd in yet, but just thinking about it in advance; hopefully someone has done this before.

Back
Top Bottom