Spyware.. A voice!

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Ok, so my friends laptop has spyware on it, at least I'm pretty sure. I downloaded AVG just incase there is something else on there.

He said he ran spybot and didn't find anything. The symptoms are:

A voice just comes and says, "Congrats! you've been seletcted for two free ipod nanos!" and then the classic pop-ups every once and a while. Any suggestions? Oh, and he can't use the system restore either, that's why I thought something was camping out in there :p

I'm going to, after avg is done, run spybot and avg in safe mode and see if it does anything. I am also going to disable system restore....

Thanks

-Q

Clear all his cookies and temporary INTERNET files, if his system restore wont work then he must have an infected file somewhere, try downloading the trial of Nod32 AV and run that to see if it finds anything, AVG antispyware is quite good if you have it, try going to Microsoft's website and downloading there malicious tool and run that. My guess is a decent AV will pick up the Malaware and then you will probably have to manually remove it as its in your system restore files.

I get that when visiting certain websites. It's an embedded advertisement on the website.

Does this happen at random times, or only when visiting certain websites?

Yeah, I get it too. But when visiting certain websites like Atomic Rooster said. Download COMODO anti-virus and firewall. I personally like it because there's an application you can turn on that asks you permission to run every single process. So when my computer is slow or there's something weird, I turn that on and I end up figuring out what's wrong. If you leave it on though it gets really really annoying. Like you just wanna throw your computer out the window.

Boot into safe mode and do a spyware check and see if you find any trojans or anything.

Ok, well, Spyware Doctor was installed, so I ran it. Of couse if found a bunch of stuff.. and I have to "Register" it, lol. So now there is nothing on here, but the laptop is lagging all to hell and back.. It only has like 384mb of ram, which may be contributing, but what else? I'm about to run bootvis and see what happens.. but it's only going to fix the slow booting, or will it? lol

Yeah, I get it too. But when visiting certain websites like Atomic Rooster said. Download COMODO anti-virus and firewall. I personally like it because there's an application you can turn on that asks you permission to run every single process. So when my computer is slow or there's something weird, I turn that on and I end up figuring out what's wrong. If you leave it on though it gets really really annoying. Like you just wanna throw your computer out the window.

Yeah, I used Comodo with that one once, that was so annoying. Asking you every single thing. I didn't know how to disable it, so I just reinstalled it and turned it off at setup...lol. I want to use my computer, not have it asking me questions every time I do something...

Ok, well, Spyware Doctor was installed, so I ran it. Of couse if found a bunch of stuff.. and I have to "Register" it, lol. So now there is nothing on here, but the laptop is lagging all to hell and back.. It only has like 384mb of ram, which may be contributing, but what else? I'm about to run bootvis and see what happens.. but it's only going to fix the slow booting, or will it? lol

Download AVG anti-spyware free edition: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-spyware/us/frt/0 or Spybot search and destroy: www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html.
Remember to update them both before you scan.

Yeah, I did all that, I work with computers alot so I know what I'm doing, just wondering if anyone else had this problem :D I guess so.

Now what I am not accustom to is the touch pad not working now (laptop).

It doesn't scroll up and down anymore, although It didn't when I looked at the laptop the first time, but he says it did the day before..

And He is saying that, what sounds to me, like the screen isn't alligned correctly. He says when he's typing something, the words are typing somewhere else. I haven't looked at it yet, just word of mouth,
but I know that the touch pad scrolling up and down doesn't work, as it didn't yesterday.

My solution:

System restore :D Should roll everything back to normal, but will the spyware return to it's normal state? I don't what to have to go do what I did the first time....

In the mean time, Touch Pad solutions? Maybe screen aligning programs?

Yeah, I used Comodo with that one once, that was so annoying. Asking you every single thing. I didn't know how to disable it, so I just reinstalled it and turned it off at setup...lol. I want to use my computer, not have it asking me questions every time I do something...

Yeah at first I was like 'where's the menu!!!!' then I figured it out and I browsed around it for a while. Now I have it so it only asks me permission when I do something where I have never done before. I'm very satisfied with it though. I also have this Comodo BO Clean thing, it's supposed to stop malware, I can't tell whether it's working or not because before I never had a problem with malware lol.

Back
Top Bottom