help with installing a sata hdd as an extra storage drive

ck_34

Baseband Member
hey guys. i currently have two IDE HDD in my pc. one of them is master and the other is slave off course, with the slave being the storage drive. i'm trying to add another storage drive and it's a Seagate SATA HDD. i connected it and nothing happens. i put the "onboard serial" to auto in bios.

my mobo board is an Asus A7N8X deluxe board. it has 2 slot connections for sata (primary and secondary). my pc isn't just recognizing the new drive i connected. can anyone help? thanks.

Have you tried connecting it to the secondary sata connection since it's a storage drive with (I'm assuming) no OS?

Does it see the drive in the bios? Are there any other settings pertaining to sata in the bios that you could check?

yea i tried connecting it to the secondary slot before. nothing happens. the new drive only have files, no OS.

under bios main. it only shows:
-Primary Master (main IDE hdd startup drive with XP)
-Primary Slave (storage IDE hdd drive with just files)
-Secondary Master (IDE dvd drive)
-Secondary Slave (IDE cd-drive)

thats all it shows in the bio. only thing i can find in bio involving sata is the "onboard serial ata" primary and secondary with both are in auto.

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. In the left pane, click on Disk Management. Does the drive show in in the right window? If it does, you can format and initialize it there.

nope. that was the first thing i did. didn't show up. i just went to the asus site to check driver updates for mobo drivers. no new ones. i just installed the Seagate DiscWizard software and can't run it because it said it didn't detect any Seagate or Maxtor drive. o_O

lol. yea the drive got power. i can feel it spinning. lol. the only thing i can find in bio that is sata related is "onboard serial port" if it even is sata related.

You probably need to enable the raid controller then, there should be a jumper on the motherboard, it should be 4 pins with a jumper. The jumper should be on pins 1 and 2. If you have the manual for the motherboard, check that for the location.

Back
Top Bottom