My first investment

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
Well I wanted to make my first investment so I could watch my money grow without having to do any work. A real nice thing when your in college.

I bought INTC (Intel) at just under $20 a share on Thursday. I only bought 50 shares b/c I didn't want to invest more than $1000. I think that with Penryn processors coming out soon and starting to become mainstream, and Nehalem right down the road (which is suppose to be revolutionary and generally a big deal), I think its a solid investment.

I really don't know too much about stocks, only technology news really. So I set some guidelines to help myself:

1. Keep the stock for 2 months minimum no matter what; even if it plummets.
2. After 2 months if it dips below $14 i'm going to sell and cut my losses.
3. If it ever reaches above $40 Im going to sell immediately.

Looks like for the next couple months i'll be hitting the refresh button on the intel stock every 3 seconds :-D. Wish me luck, and buy intel processors!

Ive never done it myself but my father did it a few years ago with coal lite and another I cant quite remember, I kept tabs on the share prices in the paper and on teletext to see how the progressed, in truth they didn't, this was over a period of about a year, so when they where sold he broke about even, I think it pays to study shares for a couple of months to see how they go before making the brave decision to invest, I like your choice as computer company's seem a growing market, I hope you make a little or big profit, let us know how you get on.

My dad invested on a private company back in Brazil, where we lived. Quite a while ago. He put in 8grand. There's about 80 now lol. He calculated that in 30 years, if stocks keep rising as they are, he'll have 2 million reais, about 1.2 million dollars. Pretty cool...

Just a warning, I had to to a stock-market project last year in school where we "bought" stocks. I "bought" intel right after the C2D hit the market and the price of stock for them dropped.

Just a warning, I had to to a stock-market project last year in school where we "bought" stocks. I "bought" intel right after the C2D hit the market and the price of stock for them dropped.

I'll keep an eye out. Perhaps the release of c2d diverted sales from other popular processors resulting in an overall drop in sales. Hopefully that won't happen to me.

You bought it after the C2D... That may be why. But right now is a good time to invest if you have a lot of time. But if you plan on selling in a year or so, it's not the best time to invest. As our country almost went into recession, and stocks are doing kind of bad right now.

You bought it after the C2D... That may be why. But right now is a good time to invest if you have a lot of time. But if you plan on selling in a year or so, it's not the best time to invest. As our country almost went into recession, and stocks are doing kind of bad right now.

I'm planning on being in this for the long run, however if the stock somehow jumps above $40 as I said I'm going to sell. I don't want to get greedy and have it come back down on me.

I think the best time to buy the stock would be before the details of a new processor are revealed as when all the specs were released about the C2D I seem to remember the stock going up at that point

Back
Top Bottom