First Build.. Here it is.. What you think?

BeastOnceAgain

Baseband Member
Alright this is my first build, It will be a gaming computer and I was looking at spending about a 1000 dollars. I already have a 42 inch LCD JVC TV I will be using as a monitor but I will link that later on. This will be a gaming/leisure computer but mostly for gaming. Alright.. Here we go...

Case
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mobo
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

PSU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor

Ramm
CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA-300 Hard Drive

DVD Burner
SAMSUNG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe

DVD ROM
Sony NEC Optiarc Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s

New GFX Card
MSI NX8800GTS-T2D512E GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

New PSU
Antec True Power Trio TP3-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails 100 - 240 V UL, CUL, FCC, TÃœV, CE, C-tick, CCC, CB

Alright there it all is.. Just tell me what you think and what things I should do different or maybe I did wrong already.

Thanks

BeasT

If this is going to be gaming then I would recommend a single more powerful graphics card to a two lower powered cards in an SLI setup as scaling still is not that good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127323
Then you can buy another one later in about a year when games are better optimized for multi-GPU setups adn when prices have dropped. Apart from that, looking good. You must love AMD though.

Worshipme is right.

4 gigs of RAM and a only mediocre processor like that?

Is the TV 720P or 1080P? If it's 1080P you're going to have trouble running games at native resolution, and TVs can get pissy when they're not in the native resolution.

And that's a terrible choice of PSU. Not good quality at all. The 8800GTS only needs a 400W PSU. This is pretty nice, and it'll save you $30.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371002

With the money you save there, you may as well go Intel. Get this mobo, and save another $45:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

So now you have an extra $75 to spend on the processor, get this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115029

Are you overclocking?

Agree with everything Freestyler said. But maybe the E8200... but unfortunatly Newegg don't have it in stock ATM. The OCZ Stealth X Stream 600W is also a good choice. I haven't had one and all my voltages are bang on even at full load . The Antec is perhaps of slightly higher quality but the OCZ has more power. BTW the PSU I recommended is manufactured by the FSP group and sold under the OCZ badge.

That PSU actually ends up having the same amount of power as the Antec on the +12V rail. That's a gimmick that a lot of PSU companies use, they add power on the useless rails so they can up the wattage rating.

It's cheaper though, so may as well go for it. The efficiency rating is slightly lower, but who cares...

sli wont work on that amd chipset,
but worshpime is right get the single 8800gts

what cpu are you thinking of getting

That PSU actually ends up having the same amount of power as the Antec on the +12V rail. That's a gimmick that a lot of PSU companies use, they add power on the useless rails so they can up the wattage rating.

It's cheaper though, so may as well go for it. The efficiency rating is slightly lower, but who cares...

Wow, that Antec has quad 12V rails that carry over 50A! I never knew.

no beast that mobo and proc are beasts, i have the mobo, i shoulda gone with the black edition, that mobo has all kinda of OC capabilities. any reason y ur going with the new GFX cards, go with the one worshipme recommended and and go for the PSU freestyle recommended...

Wow, that Antec has quad 12V rails that carry over 50A! I never knew.
It's 3 +12V rails at 18A. But really if you take apart the system you'll see it's technically all the same rail, which is better, especially for video cards that suck a lot of power.

i say change the PSU to a more reliable brand, and have a trusted name like antec for example.
stick with the AMD, and mobo, i personally like AMD better, and probably wont change to Intel till whenever i have some cash and feel like trying something new.
The 9600GT is a great setup, and it would be cool to brag about having SLi, but if your gonna spend that much, better getting an higher end 8800 (dont really know anything bout the 8800 since on a budget). or just simply wait for the 9800, if you cant wait that long, then get the 8800 or wait till the price of 9600GT settle down.
hope that helps, and feel free to leave any comments/feedback on my post.

Back
Top Bottom