Two questions about Windows Vista

jasonbourne

Baseband Member
Scenerio 1:

My buddy got himself an eMachine from Walmart that has Windows Vista on it. I went to plug in a 40 GB USB Seagate external harddrive because all of his family pics and music is on there from the other computer, which ran windows XP home. Is there something I have to do to get Vista to read the external harddrive? It shows up in the my computer but when opening the drive vista says there are no files to be found even though there is content on the hard drive.

Scenerio 2:

I didn't get to really play around with computer at all yesterday. I don't know alot about Windows Vista but I am assuming that you can setup multiple users on one machine, correct? If so, is it alot like the way you setup on Windows XP?

Reason why I asked is since he's married and stuff, his wife doesn't like him looking at adult content because last time he did that she found out that he was doing that just by looking through the different folders like the temp files and stuff. So I came up with the idea that if he wanted to look at that stuff, he would have to create a seperate user account each time he wants to look at that stuff and to delete the account once he's done so he doesn't leave a trail for his wife to follow. If your married you understand what I'm talking about lol.

Now with the addition of getting DSL at their place, he wants me to set his vista computer up so he can do what he was doing before. Thats why I was asking if the samething can be done in Vista.

external hdd's should be plug and play, doubt it needs a driver if its a newish one. dunno what could be wrong there but it should work. as for the multiple accounts yea its pretty much the same as xp. just go to the control panel. its not too hard

external hdd's should be plug and play, doubt it needs a driver if its a newish one. dunno what could be wrong there but it should work. as for the multiple accounts yea its pretty much the same as xp. just go to the control panel. its not too hard

I've had the external hard drive for over a year now. I plug it in, a window pops up. I click on where I need to go to view the files and vista doesn't display the files.

external hdd's should be plug and play, doubt it needs a driver if its a newish one. dunno what could be wrong there but it should work.

Ok I just wanted to make sure. I'm goin over their tomorrow to set it up so I'll give it a whirl.

even in my computer it doesnt display them? thats wierd. see what happens 2moz

1) He probally had a password on his old comptuer. You need to get permission to view them. Right click the drive in "Computer" and click properties. Click the security tab, then advanced. The first tab should be ownership, you want to make all admins owners (should be default choice). Then click the permissions tab and again make everyone able to view it.

2) yes, setting up different users is basically the same as XP.

Back
Top Bottom