Computer Over Heats!! Help

Nope, there should be a 3-pin plug on the motherboard:

fanheader.jpg

Its normally in the top-right of the motherboard :)

ooh ok!! thanks sooo much !! u have been a big help, i'm gonna order the thermal grease and the cpu/heat sink and hook it all up , THANKS!!

Just asking, How long have you had that computer?
If the computer is really old then you might have some trouble.
I just did a little reseting of my old computers CPU heatsink and I found a little suprise when i got the CPU and the heatsink out.

I used the twisting method to take off the HSF and then pulled it out, lucky me, the CPU came with it. ^.^
I try to get it off by prying it off with a screw driver and lets just say I almost ripped the Board with all the Pins off.
A few hours with qtips and rubbing alcohol and it didn't come off. Also Scraping the sides of the CPU with a screwdriver to get some thermal compound off.
Got my handy screw driver and a hammer and 5 HARD hits to the side of it and it came off. ^.^
Thermal grease was dried up on the cpu and HSF so it took a while of scraping with my nail and a cloth of alcohol to get it all cleaned.(2 Hours)
And since i scraped my HSF up really bad, I had to lap it.
The rest went nice and smooth. ^.^

All I'm saying is, If the computer is over 5 or 4 years old, be ready to have some work ahead of you.
Not to say its hard to reseat a heatsink, which it isn't, just watch out if it an old computer.(I used a hammer cuz it was only a crapy 1.8Ghz P4) ^.^
Good Luck

Just asking, How long have you had that computer?
If the computer is really old then you might have some trouble.
I just did a little reseting of my old computers CPU heatsink and I found a little suprise when i got the CPU and the heatsink out.

I used the twisting method to take off the HSF and then pulled it out, lucky me, the CPU came with it. ^.^
I try to get it off by prying it off with a screw driver and lets just say I almost ripped the Board with all the Pins off.
A few hours with qtips and rubbing alcohol and it didn't come off. Also Scraping the sides of the CPU with a screwdriver to get some thermal compound off.
Got my handy screw driver and a hammer and 5 HARD hits to the side of it and it came off. ^.^
Thermal grease was dried up on the cpu and HSF so it took a while of scraping with my nail and a cloth of alcohol to get it all cleaned.(2 Hours)
And since i scraped my HSF up really bad, I had to lap it.
The rest went nice and smooth. ^.^

All I'm saying is, If the computer is over 5 or 4 years old, be ready to have some work ahead of you.
Not to say its hard to reseat a heatsink, which it isn't, just watch out if it an old computer.(I used a hammer cuz it was only a crapy 1.8Ghz P4) ^.^
Good Luck

Damn that sounds crazy!! The computer is like 3 1/2 years old, it still runs like a champ except the over heating issues. Come to think of it i have no fans blowing in there at all!!!!! And i just have a heat sink i dont even have a fan on the heatsink! Its sad i know

Just some additional advice from someone poking their nose in, It wouldn't hurt to see if your computer can use programs like MBM5. Judging from the fact your PC said it was a thermal issue i doubt you have to worry if the program will work or not. A thermal program would greatly help you in the future. I hope your system board isn't like mine, mine turns off like that only if the CPU reaches 100'C.

yea so get this i got the fan/heatsink and thermal grease today, i attempted to put the new heatsink in and it DOESNT FIT!!!! ITS TO FUCKING BIG !! Now i have to return the fan/heatsink and get the right size, but i dont know which size to get !! SOMEONE help me out????

Back
Top Bottom