New rig suggestions

2 gigs of RAM should be fine unless you're doing intense video/photo editing.

I alt-tabbed in Crysis the other day and was using 2.5GB, with all other apps closed. BTW, you really, really should have gone for the HD 3650 over the 2600XT. You bought an obsolete card.

I alt-tabbed in Crysis the other day and was using 2.5GB, with all other apps closed. BTW, you really, really should have gone for the HD 3650 over the 2600XT. You bought an obsolete card.

I just don't see it being any type of bottleneck as to my needs(htpc).

There is more than enough there to dabble with gaming, if I decide I like it, I won't mind investing a few hundred in a great gaming card.

Also, I decided to grab vista 64-bit ultimate and another pair of the corsair ram for 4gb total. Was this a wise move?

Yes, I'd say going with a 64bit OS is a wise move if you've got 4GB of RAM, lots of people say 64 bit's not there yet, but I have Vista 64 and have had nothing but joy so far.

Where did he ever say he was going to be running Crysis? Just because you have a gaming PC doesn't mean that's what everyone else wants. In fact his original post stated that he would not be doing any gaming.
I use my compy for some video/photo editing, Office 2007 always, internet research and no gaming(360).
And you really need to stop telling everyone that the E8400 is a better choice than the Q6600. In some cases yes, but in this guy's case probably not. He is video editing, where the extra cores would greatly benefit him.

There are other apps that use more RAM than Crysis and especially if he's running Vista (which he is), the 4GB would benefit him greatly. I had a noticable difference going from 2GB to 4GB. And I'm pretty sure I always the recommend Quads for video and audio editing and encoding. If I didn't in this thread then I'm sorry about that. I just see so many people buying quads for solely gaming that I feel compelled to tell them that the cheaper dual is the better option. There are so many new rig threads that I get mixed up between them. I'm sorry for the mistakes I made.

Yeah sorry if I sounded like I was mad or something I just felt like I needed to point that out.

Either way he already bought it and it should be good, so...

...Everyone's happy! I'll make sure I take extra care before any recommendations next time.

The amount of actual video editing I do probably wouldn't justify the quad.

I wanted to try out the newer chip anyhow.

btw - thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom