Rebuilding My Computer

Jason8284

Daemon Poster
I just got a Antec900 case so I can rebuild my computer to have better air flow. My Question is it okay to use rubbing alcohol to clean of the thermal off the cpu?

As long as it is %99 isopropyl alcohol yes then it is fine. Some people will recommend q-tips to clean off the old thermal grease, but I prefer coffee filters.

Q-tips can leave cotton behind, something you don't want on a surface that has the potential to get very hot. Coffee filters on the other hand are very gentle and don't leave any residual material.

Acetone, (nail polish remover), also works really well too. Better then %99 isopropyl alcohol, (rubbing alcohol). Just be patient with cleaning it and take your time to do it right.

Go to CVS and pick up some nail polish remover. You want to avoid lower concentrations of alcohol really for this purpose. Acetone/Nail Polish Remover will work perfect for this.

TBH its not worth the $6 + $4 shipping + 3-4 day wait time, (dependign on what time you order it), unless your going to make it a regular habit to clean thermal grease off processors. For most of us its a once a year thing at most. No use waiting 3-4 days to use your new heatsink when you can just get nail polish remover/acetone at your local drug store for cheaper and it will work just as well.

Oh PS %99 rubbing alcohol should be available at your local drug store. Anything above %90 really should give a thorough clean. However the acetone/nail polish remover will work even better.

Back
Top Bottom