Computer Build questions *new guy*

why is that? I can change ram at any time, is the corsair XMS2 better? Faster? cooler?:confused:

They have the same latency (basically)...the Corsair runs slightly faster @ PC2 8500. The Corsair is also slightly cheaper. The reaper heat sinks are INSANE!

I don't really see a big difference between the two. The reaper will run cooler..betting for Ocing

The OCZ Reaper series memory is excellent memory and is highly overclockable. The Corsair offers no advantage over the OCZ.

The coolers on the OCZ look cool! OCZ PC2-8000 ReaperX HPC 4GB Dual Channel
Oh c'mon, we all know Corsair wins over OCZ anyday. Look at the overclocking abilitys of just the plain 800MHz stuff: www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr2-800_2.html#sect0 The link button doesn't seem to be working ATM so just paste that into your browser search bar.

But TBH I just prefer Corsair memory. I'm just like that really, a fanboi you could say.
EDIT: Sorry, accidental double post.

I've used both OCZ and Corsair in my builds. They are both excellent choices in memory and perform equally well.

Unfortunately that article you posted doesn't use OCZ in the tests.

Depends on the models. Check this out:
http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

The ones you picked out use Powerchip chips. AKA no-name brand. You want Micron D9s if possible. You can see the Dominator Corsair lineups use them, but the standard ones don't. Now look at for example Crucial. Pretty much ALL their memory uses Micron D9 chips.

Obviously, you're going to pay a price premium for that though, and unless you're an overclocker it's hard to justify.

my cpu is only running at a stock 2.4 and I dont know what I can safely OC that Q6600 to. I realy dont want to spend $400 on 2gb of memory if I can help it. I found that OCZ at newegg for $160 for a 4gb set up.

What do you guy's think I can OC this system to, with the components I have allready chosen?
:confused:

Thanks for your help every one. ;)

I'd say you could get it to 3.2GHz probably more no probs. Download PC Wizard 2008 and check your temps is the first thing to do.

as soon as it gets here I will DL PC Wizard 2008, I just put it on my current laptop that I am using.

now here is a question you might be able to answer, the RAM I was looking at was the OCZ PC2-8000 ReaperX HPC (2x2GB) that uses the powerchip,or
would I be better off going with PC2-9200 FlexXLC (2x1GB) that uses the Micron D9 chip? would going with the 2GB at 9200 be better than 4BG at 8000?
or what about going with OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
I realy dont have a clue when it comes to this stuff so any guidance you can give me would be great!!!, I am on a darn budget now so it has to be under $160

Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom