Stock Heatsink Size on Q6600 Core Quad p4: please help, need replacement

i was actually looking at this heatsink, however the vent on the side of my case has a port on the inside on the side of the case that comes down with a funnel just about right over the heatsink/fan. i was thinking that this type of heatsink might not get proper airflow if i did not use the flat mounted style fan? but i guess i could always remove the port, what do you guys think?

The Zalman's fan will face towards the front of your case, and you will not be using the funnel, nor would it fit. It intakes cool air fro the front, and then expels it out the back of your case. It basically acts like a case fan as well, and I assure you it will do a better job cooling than the funnel and the stock heatsink.

It goes like this:

http://dpk.com.ua/files/u78/DSC_2623.jpg

It should fit. I would 1st reapply the artic silver 5 on the cpu and heatsink 1st to see if that helps. I would think about getting a new case, or drilling some holes to add some fans for better air flow in there.

The case cooling is fine. You could add another fan up front for better airflow.

I think the issue lies with your current HSF. You could try reapplying the thermal compound as Jason suggested. Here's a link with instructions that show the proper way to apply thermal compound: Application Instructions

out of all the replys in this thread I didn't see anyone ask the obvious questions:

1) The stock heatsink comes with thermal strips applied, did you remove these or just add more TIM?

2) Is the heatsink properly seated? (we all know how much of a pain those push pins can be don't we?)

On the case issue, it is an ATX form factor case, almost any aftermarket cooler is going to fit.

Guys, slow down and address the causes before running on with ideas.

On the case issue, it is an ATX form factor case, almost any aftermarket cooler is going to fit.
Unless of course it's the IFX-14. I'm sure you know about that, don't you?

out of all the replys in this thread I didn't see anyone ask the obvious questions:

1) The stock heatsink comes with thermal strips applied, did you remove these or just add more TIM?

2) Is the heatsink properly seated? (we all know how much of a pain those push pins can be don't we?)

Guys, slow down and address the causes before running on with ideas.

I stated to remove all thermal that is present before reapplying

He shouldn't be getting those high temps using the stock heatsink though with the included thermal strips. Its not like the heatsink is that bad to get into the 60's + . I wouldn't have thought so anyway.

The fact he says he bought some more, worries me to think he might of added this on too, or just taken the strips off yeah, but maybe not properly, and added too much etc.

Like people have said, all you need is a rice width line in the centre where the two chips align inside the processor, and as I did (some people prefer to lay it out with a credit card) put the processor heatsink on top, wiggle it around and then lock it.

Back
Top Bottom