Building a rig

laserluke

Baseband Member
I'm planning on building a computer and was wondering if anyone was willing to give some suggestions. I'm trying to keep it under the $2000 range. I'll be using it mostly for gaming, along with some video.

Here's what I have so far:

- EVGA Geforce 8800GTX 768MB Video Card (this will most likely change to the 9800GTX since it is rumored to come out this week)

- EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 ATX Intel Motherboard

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz Processor

- Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series Sound Card

- Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Computer Case

-Cooler Master Real Power Pro RS-750-ACAA-A1 750W

- AEGIA Physx card

- G.SKILL 4GB RAM DDR2 800

Any help or tips on building this would be appreciated since it is my first time :rolleyes:

Thanks

Nice build. One suggestion though. Dump the PhysX card. They are no longer needed as most of today's newer video cards such as the 8800GTX are capable of processing the PhysX commands.

nice--you think the audio card is really worth it? also, what do you think of the motherboard? I'm not really sure what to look for in a motherboard that would help me with gaming besides the particular number of slots and type of RAM...

Thanks

I don't know much about it. But since you're willing to spend that much money go for it. I recommend going to newegg and reading reviews for it.

The audio card depends - how good are your speakers? And how much are you into gaming?

@ Joga - don't trust the newegg reviews...that's just stupid. Anyone can write those...

A Cooler Master PSU? Ouch...that's such a nice build but with a crappy PSU like that? This is SO much better:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256006

If you're not going to SLI, that's not a good motherboard to get. IMO this would be better assuming you don't want to go DDR3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813127030
If you want to go DDR3, then get an X38 motherboard.

Also, with the higher FSB of a Q6600, you'll want some faster RAM. At least DDR20-1066 would be good. Maybe 2 sets of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

@ Joga - don't trust the newegg reviews...that's just stupid. Anyone can write those...

The costumer reviews? That's the whole point. You get firsthand sources to what they thought of the item. Of course you shouldn't read it if there's one or two. But with a good amount you should start seeing some similarities and comments. From there you can get a good idea of what the item is like.

Yes, you can get an idea. But it's not very smart to go around buying stuff based off those reviews with no other references. You really have to look at multiple professional reviews from reliable sources.

I don't think you need to spend all that money on an 8800GTX which uses old technology (the G80 core) The new 8800GTS 512MB uses the newer more power efficient and better performing G92 core: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127323
And I have told people this a thousand times before: Do not buy a quad core if the main thing you're going to be doing with the PC is gaming. Most games are not threaded for quad cores and probably won't be for some time yet. A dual cores gives equivalent often better performance than a quad in games. I recommend this CPU: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037- This is one of Intel's new 45nm Core 2 Duos. They overclock as high as 4.2GHz! And they are much more power efficient and run cooler than the 65nm CPUs: www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/intel-wolfdale.html
And for the mobo, I would recommend this: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130098
As for the RAM, I recommend Corsair XMS2 800MHz. This stuff overclocks as high as 1100MHz. 4GB of it would be perfect. Want proof? www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr2-800_2.html#sect0
Oh, and here's the results for the G-Skill RAM: www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/ddr2-800_5.html#sect0

Back
Top Bottom