Ahh... wikipedia. [RANT]

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
I love how at Wikipedia you can spend hours contributing useful, relevant information to existing articles and make new articles just to have people come in and delete said information. It's good to know everyone's work is appreciated over at the free "encyclopedia". I'm not talking about myself specifically, but I've seen loads of people contribute at times thousands of words worth of information just to have some nerds come in saying it's not "notable" and throwing Wikipedia "policies" at them.

I thought it was the "free encyclopedia that anyone could edit", not the so-called "encyclopedia" where you can contribute as long as others think your work is notable. All those stupid AFD (articles for deletion) debates where people spend hours arguing with each other citing policies (feels almost like a St. John's city council meeting), accumulating at times like 50 pages of the same things being repeated over and over; people acting as if they own the site and are under complete control over what and what not can be posted there.

Wikipedia is a good reference source, but because of the ability to edit the information by just about anybody, it's not completely reliable.

what i find utterly childish is the way they fight and have "edit wars" over the spelling or words, i.e. color and colour

they have pages and pages of them arguing which is the most poplar, they even do google searches :confused: what is the big deal lol i dont get it

Wikipedia is a joke these days. You have idiots who come in and write things in the articles that is nonsense....it's pathetic.

Anyone know of any better reference sites like wikipedia?

One of the teachers in my school absolutely loves Wikipedia and uses it all the time for "reliable" information in class.

Ahh... the quality of the NL education system.

Don't get me wrong I use it all the time, but citing it in a legit research paper probably isn't a great idea..

Back
Top Bottom