Help...Sticking Fan on Graphics Card

allanmunro

Solid State Member
Have a slight problem with fan on my graphics card. It has been noisy for a few days and now seems to stick and run to a standstill. If encouraged (slight nudge with finger) will run a bit then stop. Obviously, card is overheating but is working as runs screen etc fine until you try to play games, then crashes.

Is this simply a fan problem or is there something more serious wrong??

Have an old card with fan still attached and was wondering how hard it is to change the fan from one to the other and what success levels I would have with this approach.

By the way...very green on these matter but up for a challenge. Any web links with video or walkthrough of process would be ideal.

Any help appreciated as usual.

Allan Munro

It's definitely a bad fan.

What brand and model of video card do you have?

Depending on the video card, some have easy to remove heatsink assemblies, while some the older cards actually glued the fan assembly to the GPU.

If just the fans are the same size and type, it would be possible to replace just the fan, but you should be able to find an inexpensive cooler to replace your current one.

Thanks guys.

Card is old style AGP and is a CRUCIAL X800 GTO. My older card (which is dead) was also an X800 GTO but was a GECUBE version. They are slightly different but not hugely.

The front of the crucial card looks like it is screwed on as does the gecube so I should be able to get all the stuff of to get at both fans.

Is this an esay operation (for a noob)???

Thanks in advance.

Allan

Thought I'd update you guys...had a go and it was a dawdle...just as you said. Old fan and heat sinks just slipped on and once all screws (forgot the ones holding fan in place) were installed...she's quite as a mouse.

Good job all round and thanks again for the advice.

Allan

Back
Top Bottom