SATA controller slows PC...

RhysAndrews

In Runtime
Hey guys.
I had this issue with my brothers' PC (which is almost identical to mine), in which he'd put in more SATA hdd's and some of the following would happen (at random, you could remove a plug, put it back in again, and something different would happen)

- XP would load (splash screen with blue loading bar) forever
- Drives not detected / won't boot

My computer though, with an IDE DVD Burner and a SATA2 HDD, worked fine. HOWEVER, I just got a new SATA burner, so that I could put my old IDE one in my old computer. Now, it detects the burner and will load XP and all, but it's *very* slow. XP takes about twice as long on the splash screen, and twice as long starting up (wallpaper, icons, taskbar, etc). Until everything is loaded, the cursor often starts lagging really badly.

If you have any ideas as to why this happens, that would be great.
I have a Gigabyte GA-M68SM-S2.

-Rhys

this might not help at all, but try and put the CD-ROM first :confused:

the only other thing i can think of is that you need to flash the BIOS

I updated the BIOS fairly recently.
I'll fiddle with the boot order, but I don't think it's that. Considering it's in the same order as when the IDE Drive was in, and that worked fine. It's a SATA problem.

Yes, but as an IDE drive. I set the on-board SATA mode to IDE. If I set it to AHCI (i think that's the one) I'll just get a bsod when windows starts loading. I haven't set it to raid because I only have one HDD but it's partitioned in half.

-Rhys

Back
Top Bottom