Video card help

thedeadlywar

Solid State Member
Old computer, crappy video card (geforce 5500 fx) So I get this new video card for free (radeon 1300x 256mb pci) and swap them out. I boot up and try to connect through the internet through a user name and password like always. I get an error message saying it could not connect to the certain address or somthing along those lines (sorry I don't remember exactly what it said) and this error message comes up instantly as in instantly detected. I switch back video cards out of curiosity and the old one works with the internet... Makes no sense to me, anyone else encounter anything like this or know how I can get an internet connection with my new card? I've already done every troubleshooting step such as powercycling and rebooting.

Wait. The video card should have nothing to do with the connection problem. I might need some clarification.

What I'm getting from you is: You have no access to the internet with the Radeon, but you have with the nVidia?

Oddly in this case yes! I can't figure it out. It's assumed that its not just radeon in general but this card I have here.

Yeah, I just said Radeon to refer to the card at hand. That's odd. I've never heard of that before. You might wanna try the internet without any video card what so ever. Then I would say delete drivers for the nVidia and get the drivers for the new card and install that. But keep the nVidia drivers ready to install in case the Radeon doesn't work.

EDIT: Not to be a pain, but please don't double post. Use the edit button.

I'm not sure whether this would fix it but have you downloaded the drivers from ATI's website?
You might wanna try the internet without any video card what so ever
Unless he has onboard he'll have no display.

^^ Tried it previous to plugging in the card and then plugged in the card, it did not help. It is as if the local area connection disappaers and when I attempt to connect I get an error message that sounded somthing like this: The address you have specified is incorrect, please try retyping it. The error message comes up in and instant, as a resort I attempted to plug in a LAN card, It read it, but refused to connect

I'm not sure whether this would fix it but have you downloaded the drivers from ATI's website?

Unless he has onboard he'll have no display.

lol yeah. idk what happened to the "If you have an onboard graphics card" part of the sentence. I was sure I typed it.

***EDIT***

Try resetting your internet settings.

Back
Top Bottom