Need some help here fellas...budget build ~$400..chime in if you would please!

no i'm not skimping on RAM...it's ~$400 build..i'm trying to beat a quote from someone else..but I've got in the bag at $420 with that new mobo..I just spoke with him...everything seems set now guys..thanks for the help...

oh and yes I know he won't be doing a whole lot with it, but the room is there if he ever wants to..basically the only thing he'd need to upgrade is the vid card...I'm trying to future proof it as much as I can, money allowed of course...I hate buying whole new computers all the time...it's such a waste of just a simply upgrade...

Here's my question man: Why in the world would he need 2gb of RAM if he's just browsing the web and watching DVDs? I think 1gb would be just fine. I know the difference of price isn't much, but if he has to make the $400 budget it would be a significant part in that $438 rig you built him.
Applications are using more and more RAM nowadays. Think of how much RAM Windows Media player required 5 years ago and think of how much it requires now. The standard is constantly increasing.

no i'm not skimping on RAM...it's ~$400 build..i'm trying to beat a quote from someone else..but I've got in the bag at $420 with that new mobo..I just spoke with him...everything seems set now guys..thanks for the help...

oh and yes I know he won't be doing a whole lot with it, but the room is there if he ever wants to..basically the only thing he'd need to upgrade is the vid card...I'm trying to future proof it as much as I can, money allowed of course...I hate buying whole new computers all the time...it's such a waste of just a simply upgrade...

Great point. One of my greatest flaws is looking into the future lol.

If you don't want to skimp on RAM the I seriously recommend some Corsair XMS2 800MHz memory. I think I saw 2GB with 5-5-5-15 timings for $54. The 4-4-4-12 are $74 so not worth it for what he wants to do. It really is of much better quality than the Patriot modules and I'm sure the cheaper stuff could run at the tighter timings anyway. Please consider this, I do want to help you find the right components.
EDIT: Here it is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145590

well guys I'm extremely happy that I found a few other cheaper things!..since finding the new gigabyte board with a P31 for 20 bucks cheaper and a raidmax case with an adequate psu for the job for 27 dollars less I'm under budget at $391 and the build looks like it's a go!

Thanks for all your help!

Pretty much anything will be sufficient if he's doing no gaming. The only thing an older card like that won't be able to do very well is HD playback. Glad to hear you're under budget. That really is still a lot of computer for $390.

yup and with that vid card, I'd be down to $378..yay!

and no, he won't be doing any HD playback..

Back
Top Bottom