Need some help here fellas...budget build ~$400..chime in if you would please!

it's not going to be for me, it's for a coworker..just read my original post...probably some dvd watching and mainly surfing the net...a little home office use..that jazz..NO gaming...no movie/picture editing...no encoding..

sounds good i think I'll go ATI then..it beats that nvidia by a long shot at that price point

But it's only a graphics card and as he's doing no gaming, he won't notice the difference between any of the graphics card you put in it. Are you going for an Intel or an AMD platform now?

I know he's not doing any gaming or editing..but don't you need at least a decent graphics card to watch dvds?...I have no clue...cuz if not, i'll just get a 10 dollar graphics card...

So the final build looks like this then Intel E4500, Gigabyte P35 Mobo, 2GB Patriot 800-PC6400 CL-5 RAM, Samsung 20X DVD writer w/ lightscribe, 160GB WD HDD, and a Raidmax smilodon case with 500w psu.....
Total build cost = $438

So really I need your opinion on whether or not I should use either of these two mobos...I really want to find a cheaper one to drop the price but I just can't!..the reviews seem very iffy on these boards...and I guess I don't know if I wanna take that chance....btw these were in my original post
Both $66

ECS 650

ECS P35

Well, if you really want to get a cheaper mobo, then you could choose one of the P31 or G33 chipsets. BTW, I do not recommend that ECS board, I've heard they are not a very reputable company. Also, if it's not going to be overclocked then you could go for some DDR2 667 RAM, as the performanc difference will be negligible.
Here's a cheap mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128077
That is basically the cheapest board you can buy that does what you need it to do.
There is a p965 board but it doesn't support the 1333MHz FSB so you can't really upgrade the CPU, and it's only $4 cheaper than the P31 mobo anyway.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231055- Some cheap 667 memory. G-Skill.
As for the video card, even integrated chips can do DVD playback and I assume he'll be using XP so even the cheapest GPU I think would be OK.

thanks worshipme...yes, I was looking around and I guess I didn't know that there would be a few other OK mobo chipsets..but that's good though..I'll probably go with that gigabyte you linked me to, since it should be a little upgradeable..I think I'll stick my RAM though, I doubt he'll notice a diff between CL-4, and CL-5 RAM and Patriot is a great company, I've got 4gb of it in my rig...

yes, no vista!..he hates it as do I....I was looking around for some integrated graphics but couldn't find a whole heck of a lot..i'll look some more now though..

Zac

thanks worshipme...yes, I was looking around and I guess I didn't know that there would be a few other OK mobo chipsets..but that's good though..I'll probably go with that gigabyte you linked me to, since it should be a little upgradeable..I think I'll stick my RAM though, I doubt he'll notice a diff between CL-4, and CL-5 RAM and Patriot is a great company, I've got 4gb of it in my rig...

yes, no vista!..he hates it as do I....I was looking around for some integrated graphics but couldn't find a whole heck of a lot..i'll look some more now though..

Zac

Here's my question man: Why in the world would he need 2gb of RAM if he's just browsing the web and watching DVDs? I think 1gb would be just fine. I know the difference of price isn't much, but if he has to make the $400 budget it would be a significant part in that $438 rig you built him.

Back
Top Bottom