New laptop suggestions--less than $800

That acer looked good. Personally, I like Acer. They've never let me down.

Not sure why 01001010 doesn't like them though...

Well, I've heard things about build quality with them, but not much more than any other company. Also, their site is hell to navigate.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115411

vs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115444

I really like the 8 series video card in the Aspire AS5520-5716, and it's smaller hdd probably won't be an issue.

What do you think? Any reason why I shouldn't choose the AS5520-5716 over the AS5520-5579?

Also, any suggestions for ram? I'll probably put another gig in if it only has 2 gigs, so what company is best? Crucial? Kingston?

Thanks a lot for all the help so far!
Tim

I have also had issues with Acer laptops in the past... they tend to overheat.

You'd probably be better off purchasing either a Dell, HP, or Toshiba brand laptop.

Look at the HP consumer lines. They're pretty well liked right now. Plus they're affordable.

Look at the HP consumer lines. They're pretty well liked right now. Plus they're affordable.

Thanks, I'll take a look. I know Acers are more troublesome than other laptops, but I just can't take my eyes off the prices!

Tim

Remember this, would you rather have a cheap notebook only to have expensive repairs in the future? Or would you rather pay a little more to have a notebook that's trouble free throughout its lifetime?

You always need to pay attention to cost of ownership.

Remember this, would you rather have a cheap notebook only to have expensive repairs in the future? Or would you rather pay a little more to have a notebook that's trouble free throughout its lifetime?

You always need to pay attention to cost of ownership.

I'm convinced. I'll do my research before I buy and I'll spend more money for quality. But I'm still not convinced that the Acers are that bad. Does anyone else have firsthand experience with them?

I really like the new Lenovos, namely, the Lenovo Y710. It's a few hundred over what I'd like to spend, but it has pretty good specs, and it's a Lenovo, which I guess are pretty much tanks.

Ideas?
Tim

The Ideapad line isn't made for ruggedness. You're talking about the Thinkpad line. Even though they're from the same manufacture, they have two very different audiences.

Look at the Thinkpad T61 or Thinkpad R61. You should be able to get a decent configuration in your price point.

I'm convinced. I'll do my research before I buy and I'll spend more money for quality. But I'm still not convinced that the Acers are that bad. Does anyone else have firsthand experience with them?

I really like the new Lenovos, namely, the Lenovo Y710. It's a few hundred over what I'd like to spend, but it has pretty good specs, and it's a Lenovo, which I guess are pretty much tanks.

Ideas?
Tim

My dad owns an Acer Aspire 9500. He only uses EON Viewer w/ it though. As he works with VR, he needs the laptop to view what he's done and make sure it's all good. Back to the laptop though, never really given him any problems. As long as it's well taken care of and not pushed over the extreme, I think an Acer is fine.

Back
Top Bottom