Going Wireless

Labyrus

Solid State Member
So I have wireless-n on my laptop now and it works great. I want to go wireless with my older Inspiron Laptop and my older Sony Vaio. Neither one have a wireless card in them. My question is: Can I get a wireless router and use some sort of wireless adapter plugged into the ethernet cards of both those older comps?

Any info you guys could share would greatly help (and prevent me from running cables all over!)

Here's what you can do:

Buy a wireless card from each of your old laptop. And then buy the wireless router. But I don't think you plug the wireless card onto another card. Just into the little port provided. So if what you said is what I just said do that. I couldn't quite understand what you meant by "use some sort of wireless adapter plugged into the ethernet cards".

What I mean is: I think my XBox 360 has a wireless adapter option; a small antenna that plugs into the ethernet port of the console. I was wondering if I had that same option for computers.

The Vaio and the Inspiron are at least 5 years old and don't have wireless cards (and I don't think I can even install them.)

So if there is some sort of antenna I could plug into the ethernet port to receive a wireless signal, that would help a ton, heh.

Oh I know what you mean. Hum..I'm not so sure. I'm not an expert on wireless stuff. Let's wait and see if a couple of the guys here can help you out.

If i'm not mistaken, the Xbox 260 wireless adapter connects via USB.

Edit: Why not just get USB wireless antennas?

Now the question is:
What's a good wireless router to invest in? One that would work with the USB wireless adapters from NewEgg and my wireless-n card in the new laptop?

Back
Top Bottom