Permanent Banning

But on the other side of the coin DudeMcbob was let back against most members wishes and to his credit he has lifted his act and quit his spamming and made plenty of worthwhile posts so I spose it is possible to learn a lesson like that.

Well I believe in second chances on CF aslong as the original account isn't allowed to return. If they wanna offend a significant amount of people and prove to have a negative effect on the community then they should start over again. New account, new rep, new post count, starting from scratch again. Otherwise it's literally just a temporary ban, there's multiple forums about computers with a good community, why do they keep coming back here making new accounts then drawing attention to themselves...

No contest Mike, the only way with these m*tha f*ckas is to keep bannin' 'em!!

LOL you sure swear alot for someone of your age.

When it comes time to take action, for the most part, they move with a swift decisiveness.
Excuse me Seti for saying so, but that's a laugh, yes, it is a tough job, I should know, but the other day, there was quite an offensive post & I reported it around 8am, at 8pm it was still there, now I realise the time differential causes some lack of coverage, but twelve hours???, come on!, I fully realise that work, school, holidays & sickness must affect the sum total of those offline, but we have over a dozen mods & it must be very rare occurence when more than say four are absent all at the same time.
I'd like to add that this isn't a case of sour grapes on my part, [although certain members will insist it is]

Excuse me Seti for saying so, but that's a laugh, yes, it is a tough job, I should know, but the other day, there was quite an offensive post & I reported it around 8am, at 8pm it was still there, now I realise the time differential causes some lack of coverage, but twelve hours???, come on!, I fully realise that work, school, holidays & sickness must affect the sum total of those off line, but we have over a dozen mods & it must be very rare occurrence when more than say four are absent all at the same time.
I'd like to add that this isn't a case of sour grapes on my part, [although certain members will insist it is]
hmmm...
yes it is a tough job, where you have to come and respond to reported posts that you likely have no interest in,

what post? do you remember the link, bear in mind what you find offensive and what I find offensive may differ, (though with regards your posts of late and the language used I'm not entirely sure about that either any more.

12 hours? yes that's quite a long time, but I have a job, family friends etc, I can't and won't spend all my time in front of a PC, for the most part of this week my job has had an extra 2 and a half hours tacked onto either end as I've been working out of London and traveling back.

I have found the time to come by here at lunch times and such, but frankly, I'm working an 7.5 hour day, with a lunch time in the middle, that 8.5 hours in the office, with 2 hours traveling in the morning, and 2 hours traveling at night that's a 12.5 hour day of being up on my feet and doing stuff...
sorry I don't have the obvious time to patroll forums in the same way that you seem to.

AFAIK I'm the only mod online right now, and when I get back to actually doing work there won't be any on for a while...

you know yourself that there can't be someone on here every hour of every day, but with mods around the world and the time they put in here it's about as close to that 24/7 mark as it's ever going to be, (we are only volunteers after all)...

I couldn't possibly comment on whether it's sour grapes or not other than to say if the cap fits...

so far as jervin32189 being wrong...

far from it, a preferment ban is just that, if you've done something so bad that we don't want to see you here again, then that's just it...
if on the other hand you've made a few mistakes or got in a fight 9/10 you'll get a temp ban so you can go away and think about what you've done...

of course that cooling off period doesn't work with some people as they come back and do the same things time and time and time again. :rolleyes:

hmmm...
yes it is a tough job, where you have to come and respond to reported posts that you likely have no interest in,

what post? do you remember the link, bear in mind what you find offensive and what I find offensive may differ, (though with regards your posts of late and the language used I'm not entirely sure about that either any more.

12 hours? yes that's quite a long time, but I have a job, family friends etc, I can't and won't spend all my time in front of a PC, for the most part of this week my job has had an extra 2 and a half hours tacked onto either end as I've been working out of London and traveling back.

I have found the time to come by here at lunch times and such, but frankly, I'm working an 7.5 hour day, with a lunch time in the middle, that 8.5 hours in the office, with 2 hours traveling in the morning, and 2 hours traveling at night that's a 12.5 hour day of being up on my feet and doing stuff...
sorry I don't have the obvious time to troll forums in the same way that you seem to.

AFAIK I'm the only mod online right now, and when I get back to actually doing work there won't be any on for a while...

you know yourself that there can't be someone on here every hour of every day, but with mods around the world and the time they put in here it's about as close to that 24/7 mark as it's ever going to be, (we are only volunteers after all)...

I couldn't possibly comment on whether it's sour grapes or not other than to say if the cap fits...

so far as jervin32189 being wrong...

far from it, a preferment ban is just that, if you've done something so bad that we don't want to see you here again, then that's just it...
if on the other hand you've made a few mistakes or got in a fight 9/10 you'll get a temp ban so you can go away and think about what you've done...

of course that cooling off period doesn't work with some people as they come back and do the same things time and time and time again. :rolleyes:
Usually as I've said before, your comments are always to the point offend or not, but may I say that by saying such things as [1]"if the cap fits" [2]"we are only volunteers" [3]"as the way you seem to"

[1] That was insulting I feel.

[2] Don't you think I know that?

[3] Strange thing to say, everybody knows that I am retired & at no fault of my own I live alone & as I can't get about very well, so I go out only to get essential supplies such as food.
Please understand that I'm not feeling sorry for myself, these are the facts of my life & I have to get on with it, & I do to the best of my ability, I certainly dont sit here grumbling or when I have difficulties in the mornings the simple act of putting my socks on is almost impossible.

To sum up, what do you mean by "you have to come in & respond to reported to posts that you likely have no interest in" surely it's a mods duty to respond to every report, [if he's available of course] not pick & choose which one was worthwhile! as I remember it I responded to every report if I was at home, over the years I reckon I didn't get to deal with around 5 - 10% of reports for some reason or another, which wasn't a bad average I think:) finally I'm sorry I don't remember which post it was, I could make a guess, but I don't want to get it wrong & upset a member unnecessarily.

true... it is my duty to respond to posts, and I do, but to be honest, half the time I couldn't give a... care less about two kids (or adults) arguing on the internet about who has the better graphics card, processor manufacturer, biggest penis, prettiest case/girl friend/mum etc... which a lot of the time it is.

I come here because I like the majority of people here, and I find the advice given to questions people ask helpful (most of the time).

1, it was no more insulting that you telling us we don't give up our free time in a manner that's good enough for you.

2, we are volunteers, that wasn't directed completely at you, but as you'll see from my post regarding my working hours I haven't had the most amount of free time this week. and when I choose to spend the free time that I do have trying to contribute to a community that I do actually care about it is a little insulting to be told that your efforts just aren't good enough by someone who knows what a difficult job it actually is.

3, a few points to make here, firstly you edited the post that you quoted, that's just not good sport. (in fact I seem to remember you once banned someone for changing the words of a post). but you've not changed the context. so I'll ignore it...
I've every sympathy for you for your loss, though I know that you're not looking for sympathy.
I realise that you find it hard to get about, a lot of people do, and again I've nothing but respect for you in the way that you seem to carry about your life, in-spite of your losses etc,
but as much sympathy as I have for you I don't see why the loss of your wife, life and mobility means that you use this place as a personal playground, insult people that you don't like, send abusive PM's emails etc.. (i won't go on).

as I said in my post, carrying on however you like in whatever manner you like.
in fact... to get back onto the subject of the thread.

you are perhaps the best example of why letting people come back from permanent bans doesn't work. the sad fact is that people don't change.

Back
Top Bottom