Why is my internet so slow?

mitts2010

Baseband Member
OK, well I just upgraded from high speed light to high speed at home because I had little need for it before. I would just use the schools wireless, or a friends wireless with my laptop.

I am seeing a very little difference in speed when it should be a huge difference. I am supposed to get "up to 5000kb/s" but everyone else that has the same service provider and internet plan as me gets about 4000kb/s. Right now I am only getting ~980kb/s. It is a cable modem. And I mainly use wireless (802.11g with WAP encryption), but when I plugged my laptop into the router, it is the same speed. So any ideas what's wrong, could it be a bad cable connection from the wall to the modem? A bad Ethernet cable from the modem to the router? Or could it be a router setting?

Just thought I would get your thoughts before doing anything.

Right now the down speed is 448 kbps, it has been fluctuating, but last night it was at 980 kbps.

I figured it out...I had to go digging in the ceiling. It was an old coaxial cable going from the cable company box on the outside of the house to the splitter in the ceiling in the basement, then a new cable went from there to the wall plate where the modem was plugged in. So I just ran a new line all the way from the box to the wall plate where there is just a TV and the internet now. Now I am getting 4100-4500 kbps down, and 480 kbps up.

Back
Top Bottom