The right processor

I was just wondering on what processor I should buy when I build my rig. It's still a ways off, but I like putting stuff together before I buy it. If I'm going to use my computer for gaming/programming(Torque, OpenGL, DirectX, DevC++)/other random stuff I might get addicted to, what processor would be the best choice.

1. Core 2 Duo
2. Core 2 Quad
3. Core 2 Extreme

Note these are only intel cause they the only ones I know about (yes, not very good w/ processors)

Core 2 Extremes are waaay too expensive and are only for people who want the best of the best. If you're not going to be doing any video/audio encoding or editing, then it would be best to go with the Core 2 Duo E8*** series. Otherwise, go with the Core 2 Quad for Video editing etc...

Sorry I was eating. Well, I have 300 right now. But I'm still going to work all summer long. So I will have money to spend. I'm looking at all possibilities right now.

As worshipme states the QX9xxx's are overpriced but if you have the money to burn then you may not be worried about the cost.

Budget wise an E8400 will overclock to E8500 no problems or you could go for the Q9650.

I don't know much about the software you have listed but if any of them are optimised for multi core processors then a quad would be optimal.

I'm not too sure on the Phenom, it appears to have problems from what little I've read on the net and I have never been an AMD user but they may be worth a look considering their pricing.

As worshipme states the QX9xxx's are overpriced but if you have the money to burn then you may not be worried about the cost.

Budget wise an E8400 will overclock to E8500 no problems or you could go for the Q9650.

I don't know much about the software you have listed but if any of them are optimised for multi core processors then a quad would be optimal.

I'm not too sure on the Phenom, it appears to have problems from what little I've read on the net and I have never been an AMD user but they may be worth a look considering their pricing.

One of my buddies just got one of the AMD's new Phenom chip. He likes it and it seems to run pretty decent. Although I didn't get to in depth with his setup since it was prebuilt which I chewed him out for but it seems like it ran pretty good. Granted we didn't do anything really heavy to really see the chip shine but perhaps it would be a cheap alternative for him.

They've received a bad rap from the net in general since release so I really wonder if it is deserved? but with Intels continued pricing cuts it is going to be hard for AMD to compete.

I see an article today that the EU anti competition watchdog has raided several places in germany regarding pricing and a perception that Intel is trying to force AMD out of the market by lower said prices, that'll be worth keeping an eye on.

I would hate to see AMD fold as no marketplace competition is never good for the consumer.

Ok. I just wasn't sure which was good. Because when one thinks quad-core vs dual-core, the rational thing would be to think of a quad-core twice as good as dual-core when talking about equal processor speeds. But like I said count me as a newb when dealing with this.

Ok. I just wasn't sure which was good. Because when one thinks quad-core vs dual-core, the rational thing would be to think of a quad-core twice as good as dual-core when talking about equal processor speeds. But like I said count me as a newb when dealing with this.

It should theoretically be that way, but it's software that prevents it from happening.

Back
Top Bottom