gaming operating system

i think thats a great idea
but having a gaming os
dual booted with xp/vista
all the pc's power could be used instead of some of it being used to run background applications

ya, well do some research, lol, but yea, i do hope somebody out there comes out with a new dedicated gaming OS, microsoft is releasing windows 7 next year or later this year, not sure yet, but they are going to totally do away with vista like they did with ME

Are they just going to name it Windows 7?

No it will be called something like Windows Fixed, lol. Vista isnt that bad... But a gaming OS would be really nice!! If they could like make whatever you are doing go into hibernate before starting a game or something...
If you dual booted, and had Vista and XP, and on the XP partition, had nothing but games, would they run better?

having a less resource intensive O/S wouldn't make a 4 year old Graphics Card kick anythings arse.

I do like the idea. Here would be the best way of implementing it. Current games on the market if they were made for the cross over would need a special patch for that OS.

As for new games they could include the OS with the actual game or make it available for download. The OS should be open source and free since not many will pay for a gaming exclusive OS.

The only problem with this is how fast graphics cards and cpu's change. There would have to be some type of general firmware update as new hardware comes out.

Also a simple boot option through XP or Vista should be used. IE you load up your OS as normal then when you want to play your games you double click that OS shortcut and it should automatically shut down and launch into that OS. Likewise when exiting it should go back into your current OS. I only suggest this because non tech's would probally have issue's setting everything up. A simple shortcut and automated process will make it much easier for people with little tech knowledge.

having a less resource intensive O/S wouldn't make a 4 year old Graphics Card kick anythings arse.
well, ya i obviously over exaggerated that
but most people don't really know just how much
windows and other os's resources they take up
if you actually break it down to what windows does while
playing games, it wouldn't be a less resource intensive os
it would be a like no resource os
what windows is actually doing while it does games or anything
for that matter, is that it is in a never ending loop
checking for new things happening
if another program is scheduled for something, it will break the never ending
loop to do something before it goes back to the game
if you know exactly what system idle process is, then you should know
how this works
the system idle process is actually a REAL process
it is an empty loop that just looks for anything needed to be done
a gaming os would work like a system idle process that only works for games
my guess is that 50-75% of resources are not entirely commited to games
if that seems wrong think about this
each program running would techincally have the same priority in the loop
if an email program needed to update its database, it would break the loop
and do it with the same priority of a game needing to have an AI build a unit
the resources would not actually be used for 50-75% capacity for games
but only 50-75% of the time becuase they are being used by another program

or how about this
what if Microsoft included a gaming section in the o/s
when every you went to play a game your os would be shut down memory wiped (ram) and a specialized o/s for gaming would take over

i like your idea of having it integrated into windows
b/c then there would be a lot less legal issues
about using windows code in a separate os

Back
Top Bottom