Computer is turning itself on???

crazyman143

Fully Optimized
ok, so I have an interesting question. Just wondering if anybody here has some insight on this..

I have an HP dv9000z Notebook, and it works great.... but sometimes when I get up in the morning, I find that it is running. Now, at first I thought I was loosing my mind or something, and had just forgotten to shut it down the night before, but I'm beginning to wonder. Several times now, I find it on when I know that I had shut it down. I've asked everyone in my house (basically my mom) if they had used and they said no.

last night I shut it down. this morning it was on. I downloaded an uptime timer for the vista sidebar, that shows approx. 7 hours uptime, which was at about 3 am. I was sleeping at 3 am.

Any ideas as to whats going on here? I don't want my laptop running all night.

Do you totally SHUT the computer down, or do you enter sleep/hibernate mode? If you shut it down and this is happening, I have no idea what to say.

If you're entering a sleep mode, this has happened to me before on my HP also. Get back to me and i'll tell you what to do later. Gotta get to school.

Cheers,

Chris

How do you power down? Do you click the button, close the lid, or go to the start menu? If you click the button, then most likely your button is set to sleep, same thing if you just close your lid. If you are going to your start menu, and then click shut down, and then in the box that appears, you click shutdown, than your computer SHOULD shut down... if it does not, than you should promptly contact http://www.ghostweb.com/ also, with power surges, your computer can occasionally do strange things while being plugged in.

This happened once with my HP DV9700T, but it was when it was in sleep mode, done by just closing the lid and not clicking on "shutdown".

ok, after some googling I've discovered that automatic updates is capable of waking a system do install updates. mine was scheduled for 3 am, the same time that my computer was turned on. so I've probably found the problem. I changed that and it hasn't happened yet. we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom