Quotes from old people who are totally dumbfounded by computers

Ahh, thanks mate! I will look into that and see if it isn't something I can't look into for maybe an hourly rate. ;) Beats driving all over Florida IMO.
Glad you appreciate it, I had to walk quite a way, there's nowhere to park near his shop, & I'm afraid I'm not very good at walking very far these days, [Lowndsey please feel free to comment on this]

Next time you talk to him, you should ask him what software it is and PM me the title/link. I am planning on starting a business and something like that would be very useful, even maybe charge an hourly rate. ;) Let me know if you get the chance. :)

try
real VNC
vineserver (the Mac version of VNC)
remote desktop
remote assistant
net support
PC anywhere
(to name but a few)

all of those do that.

and that's how I support the world! (no really).

to all those who think that working on a support desk is difficult, you don't know the half of it till you try it.

thankfully I've now moved away from the first line and second line support except when I'm on call.

I think the best thing I ever heard was when someone had a problem, they wouldn't stop clicking on things and were opening all kinds of rubbish, I said
"close down those windows that you've open"

so they shut down the PC and told me that I'd said to close down windows...

I found that frustrating (coupled with the fact that they kept swearing at me in French thinking I couldn't understand).

but the trick is to just keep your cool, get a measure of how technical they are and adjust how you tell them things based on that.
most people would rather be patronised than confused (within reason!)

that's cool. u bilingo almost..im tri...but rarely is an advantage, only in soccer games and cussing...more words to go thru.

Chouette. Oui, Oui. J'oubliait. Je suis en la classe "Francais 3". J'ai un ami ici, il vien de Paris. Nous parlons francais some days. Lol. Il parle rapide! C'est magnifique.

to all those who think that working on a support desk is difficult, you don't know the half of it till you try it.

...they kept swearing at me in French thinking I couldn't understand).

but the trick is to just keep your cool, get a measure of how technical they are and adjust how you tell them things based on that.
most people would rather be patronised than confused (within reason!)

That is entirely true. I was only on the front line of tech support for about a year. Yet in that year, I learned that every person that you talk to is different, and that you need to treat each and every person with respect, and understand that not everyone understand about command line or even how to get to their network connections, if they have a windows computer.

Plus talking to some French Canadians was that best part of my job because, they new that i didn't speak French so they just went right ahead and swore their heads off at me. Which got both of us nowhere. (Nothing against people that speak French, or are Canadian.)

Back
Top Bottom