I've always wondered...

NeciFiX

In Runtime
On a standard older mobo there is one large reddish connector, it has pin-holes like a VGA or DVI port but it's extra big. There is also a yellow one like that, slightly smaller. And a teal-colored or such port that is almost the same size as VGA but a bit bigger.

What the heck do they do? All computers I've seen (besides Macs) that weren't "custom builds" have them. Are they meant for older things? I have a feeling the yellow one has to do with older sound or something but the others?

Just curious, is all. Expanding the knowledge is good.

Erm, are you talking about the Parallel, serial, and joystick ports? Are these the ports?

67411-serial-parallel.jpg

ExternalConnectors2-small.jpg

If so, the pink one is Parallel, mainly used in old printers. The teal one is serial, which is a very obsolete data transfer port only capable of transferring one bit at a time. And the yellow one is a joystick port, which joysticks used before mainly switching to USB.

actually serial ports are still used in some industries as a diagnostic port to monitor a system.

like I use my serial port many many many times a day.

and I can almost garuntee you are using the product I use it on daily too.

but yeah most of those arent used anymore replaced by USB and such

Erm, are you talking about the Parallel, serial, and joystick ports? Are these the ports?

67411-serial-parallel.jpg

ExternalConnectors2-small.jpg

If so, the pink one is Parallel, mainly used in old printers. The teal one is serial, which is a very obsolete data transfer port only capable of transferring one bit at a time. And the yellow one is a joystick port, which joysticks used before mainly switching to USB.

Yes!! Exactly what I was talking about. Thank you for cluing me in!

Back
Top Bottom