Windows Vista BSOD at Startup

jashan17

In Runtime
I have just installed Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition and when i select to boot at Vista instead of XP 64 bit it flashes a very quick BSOD for a split second. Does the same with safe mode. Also tried reinstalling. Problem is now i have 3 windows vista selections at the boot screen even though they arent there.

Is there a way that you can back up your data onto another machine... and then do a full reformat on the main hard drive... then partition it into two partitions and install your XP 64 bit and then your 64 bit Vista onto the other one...

Other things, it could be your ram... just a thought...

Is there a way that you can back up your data onto another machine... and then do a full reformat on the main hard drive... then partition it into two partitions and install your XP 64 bit and then your 64 bit Vista onto the other one...

Other things, it could be your ram... just a thought...

Well I have two partitions on my 750 gig drive 200 for vista(logical) and 500 for xp(primary). Well i cant reformat, i just installed everything from fresh, not going to format again. What should i do?

Did you run the upgrade tool first before you installed Vista to see if there was any conflicts?

Anyone? How do i eliminate the Blue Screen and boot into Vista? it succesfully installed on the partition. How do i clear the multiple boot selections? (3 vista selections after uninstalling and reinstalling )

Anyone? How do i eliminate the Blue Screen and boot into Vista? it succesfully installed on the partition. How do i clear the multiple boot selections? (3 vista selections after uninstalling and reinstalling )

For the multiple boot selections you'll have to format that section of the drive and erase the 3 installs you already did.

As for clearing up the BSOD please remove 2 memory sticks from your computer and try another install. On some systems Vista is really hard to install or even boot with 4 gigs of memory.

After you get it booted with 2 gigs in there go to Windows update. You'll be able to download a patch that fixes how Vista addresses your system memory. After you install this patch go ahead and put your other 2 gigs in and it should boot fine then.

If windows update does not pick it up you can find the hot fix HERE

Thanks guys! i took out 1 stickof ram and now it boots. I will have to install the update when i get back home...At school right now..

Vista is working now. When i install that hotfix i shut off the computer and insert the ram and start it up again. It gives me another blue screen still but it stays longer. Also when trying to install some drivers from cds i get another blue screen, some kind of STOP error.

Glad to hear you got it booting. Its possible you may have a bad memory module. I'd run Memtest86 and let it run several passes on each stick.

Also in the Bios make sure you have the correct timings and voltage set. Give that a try and report back.

Also if you could post the stop error that would help a lot.

Back
Top Bottom