car door will not stay closed

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
what is wrong. On my sister's 99 Taurus when its really cold the door will not latch on the driver's side, and she has to hold it closed. I tried spraying some graphite lubricant/anti freeze into it, but it didn't do anything

and whats good to put on the door gaskets to keep them from freezing? that lubricant?

ask a car mechanic. this is a computer forum.

True but not true, this is the social forum (talk about ANYthing) in a computerforum.

And I really have no idea on what the problem might be, but hopefuly someone here has an idea about cars.

Does it just bounce open? Check the child locks. And then look at the door locking mechanism and see if it looks damaged in anyway. Also look for the obvious jam.

its like that when its really cold the lock is disconnected from the handle, and will move freely.

and its not child locks because there are none on a driver's door.

I have a similar problem in my car. The driver's door squeaks and lets in cold air. It doesn't pop open but the squeaking is unbearable.

On older cars the seals between the door and the body can begin to let in moisture. Perhaps moisture is collecting on the door latch that hinges to the lock on the body of the car to keep it closed. Then in cold weather it freezes, preventing the door latch from opening and hinging to the lock on the car.

Thats the only thing I can think of, since it only happens in the cold.

You will need to take the door panel off and look at the latch mechanism and make sure everything is working properly and is lubricated properly (using a little bit of grease, not spray lubricant)

As for the door seals, you can use a little of the spray lubricant, just spray some on a rag and wipe it on the door seal and on the body where the door seal meets it. You can also use some armor all wipes if you have them.

Back
Top Bottom