Overclocking?

Big Mountain

Beta member
Ok I'm a pretty big noob when it comes to Overclocking because my old system wasn't really worth it but my new one is just asking for it.
I've got the q6600 on a EVGA 680i board and everything that I have read says that it's the perfect board to overclock the q6600 with. So if anyone has any experience overclocking one either reply here or just send me a PM.
Thanks

I think you'll find the 680i is not the "perfect board", it is FSB limited when overclocking a Q6600.

For starters, which cpu cooler do you have?

Big Mountain, I've successfully overclocked my Q6600 to 3.0GHz by increasing FSB to 333 and reducing the CPU voltage. I'm running on the stock cooler and by temps don't go over 59* at any load. I'd recommend you mess around with OC but start low. You can try 311 for your FSB, which will give you 2.8Ghz.

Download "Core Temp" to monitor your temperatures at idle and load. It shouldn't go over 70* IMO. I'm not comfortable with anything over 60*.

If you need anything else let me know.

I think you'll find the 680i is not the "perfect board", it is FSB limited when overclocking a Q6600.

For starters, which cpu cooler do you have?

Uh... what exactly do you mean by that? The 680i does not cap the FSB at all. I guess I misunderstood you, but the only thing that limits a board's Overclockability is the processor itself, with a locked multiplier. Sure, the 680i may not be an overclocker's dream, but it does not block any features. The Q6600 however, may not be the best CPU to OC with a 9x multiplier.

Big Mountain, I've successfully overclocked my Q6600 to 3.0GHz by increasing FSB to 333 and reducing the CPU voltage. I'm running on the stock cooler and by temps don't go over 59* at any load. I'd recommend you mess around with OC but start low. You can try 311 for your FSB, which will give you 2.8Ghz.

Download "Core Temp" to monitor your temperatures at idle and load. It shouldn't go over 70* IMO. I'm not comfortable with anything over 60*.

If you need anything else let me know.

Why would you REDUCE the CPU voltage? If you can OC without changing the vcore/cpu volts do so, but lowering the voltage is unnecessary. If you find your computer BSODing at a certain FSB, that is when you increase the vcore by a bit.

60.1 is the max temperature for the Intel Core 2 Duo/Quads, so if you want to do some serious OCing, get an after market HSF if not a WC setup. My E6600 is at 3.8 with a Tuniq Tower. I hear quads are similar to the Duo's in terms of OCing.

If I were you, I would start incrasing the FSB in 30Mhz incriments. Boot up, if it's stable raise again. Keep doing this until you hit a BSOD/instability and raise the core a bit, repeat. Keep an eye on the temperature, and when it tops 60 under load, find a new cooling set up.

Uh... what exactly do you mean by that? The 680i does not cap the FSB at all. I guess I misunderstood you, but the only thing that limits a board's Overclockability is the processor itself, with a locked multiplier. Sure, the 680i may not be an overclocker's dream, but it does not block any features. The Q6600 however, may not be the best CPU to OC with a 9x multiplier.
FSB limited means that it won't boot above FSB of XXX, usually around the 400MHz or higher, some as low as 280MHz whereas most other boards will do it no problems, this is sometimes referred to as a "FSB wall"

The Q6600 has an "unlocked" multi giving the options of 6x, 7x, 8x, and 9x FYI

You are correct, you do not understand.

Try reading some of these LINK

Why would you REDUCE the CPU voltage? If you can OC without changing the vcore/cpu volts do so, but lowering the voltage is unnecessary. If you find your computer BSODing at a certain FSB, that is when you increase the vcore by a bit.

60.1 is the max temperature for the Intel Core 2 Duo/Quads, so if you want to do some serious OCing, get an after market HSF if not a WC setup. My E6600 is at 3.8 with a Tuniq Tower. I hear quads are similar to the Duo's in terms of OCing.

If I were you, I would start incrasing the FSB in 30Mhz incriments. Boot up, if it's stable raise again. Keep doing this until you hit a BSOD/instability and raise the core a bit, repeat. Keep an eye on the temperature, and when it tops 60 under load, find a new cooling set up.
Once again you do not understand the principle, he reduced his vcore to reduce operating temperatures, unnecessary maybe, a practical way of reducing temps by reducing voltage?? definitely

The thermal range for a G0 Q6600 is 71°C too btw

Your problem appears to be that you are basing your comments on hearsay instead of practical application i.e. hands on experience

underconstruction7ib.gif

Dude, no need to get angry.

One, I am quite sure that the 680i gives FSB's above 400Mhz, and I base that on hands on experience since I own one. You are saying complete nonsense, give me some proof that the 680i can't go above 400 Mhz, and that it is inferior to other boars. Otherwise, your statement is hearsay. Have you actually ever owned a 680i? Have you OCed with one?

Two, GhostFT said and I quote

Big Mountain, I've successfully overclocked my Q6600 to 3.0GHz by increasing FSB to 333 and reducing the CPU voltage.

Now, that statement implies that he oced by reducing the voltage. I did not want the OP to get the impression that reducing the voltage would help OC (which it doesn't). I understand the principle very well, as I have OCed many many many many many computers before. I do accept that I made a mistake with my thermal range, but that is it. I am trying to help the original poster, not confuse them.

Seriously, stop giving me this bull about me using hearsay. All I say is based on personal experience. I would never recommend anyone to do anything that I myself have not done.

Did you read any of the articles I linked?? it is a 680i - quad core thing.

What are your bios settings for 3.8GHz?? and which quad did you oc past 400MHz FSB in your board?? not that it matters really as you're running dual and afaik duals are unaffected by the FSB wall.

The 680i would not be my choice for ocing.

You edited them in after I posted.

I'd just like to make it clear, I am not personally attacking you or anything, I just misunderstood what you said. You are a very contributing member, and in many ways better than me in terms of computers. I really don't care if you point out my mistakes, I just want the OP to get the best possible information.

I have read a lot of those articles, and I'm sorry, but I do not see any problems with the 680i stopping at 400Mhz. However, I do admit the fact that the P5E3 is a better motherboard for OCing quads.

680i with the bios update is great board for over clocking in general
and the 780i board fixes all the issues the 680i had

@ Thelis

I was a bit over the top in my responses I admit.

My point is I replied "not the perfect board" due to the fact of well documented problems with the 680i chipset and overclocking quads, it has been documented as a problem for quite a while.

When you posted contradicting this despite the web being full of people complaining about it I kind of lost the plot, hey if i'm incorrect then i'll admit it but threads and links to other threads like THIS don't just get posted by people for "fun", no smoke without fire etc. Even NVIDIA concedes there is a problem

We have been following this thread and are aware of the FSB scaling on the Quad Core CPU's with the 680i motherboard.
With that being said, we are investigating this issue and hope to have an update soon.

More

It was found that the GTL Reference Voltage, derived from CPU VTT/FSB Voltage, on the 680i SLI Motherboard, needed a little boost for better FSB overclocks on Kentsfield Processors. About a 0.03v-0.05v boost should yield better FSB overclocks on a Kentsfield Processor. Current boards do not have this implementation, but newer boards should be tuned with a little more GTL Ref Voltage with Kentsfields. Perhaps we can expect a Revision 2 of 680i SLI Motherboards...

as to GhostGTs post, yes it could have been worded better and i did have "extra" knowledge about the point he was making because I helped him find a comforable vcore/temp setting, I over reacted, I apologise.

I just get tired of seeing incorrect information being posted and have a low 'bullshit threshold"

;)

:D

Back
Top Bottom