how do i find my WEP key?

immortal143

In Runtime
well i got a linksys router like 2 years ago and about a year ago my brother set up a WEP key. that was stupid on his part because he was being an idiot and written down the key on a frickin post it note. and its not even like he keeps the post it note in a safe place, he loses it almost every day. well i am connected to my brother through a wireless connection so if my wireless connecter ever unconnected i have to restart another connection. well now he lost it and it is not in my house. how do i find the WEP key on this router so i can set up my connection again?

or do you guys know how to take off a wep code so i can never run into this situation again?

right connect a computer by wire,

goto start / run / cmd / hit enter

type ipconfig

then look at default gateway,

open IE and type the default gateway in the address bar and search for the wireless settings

ok even easier...
type 192.168.1.1 into IE7 then leave the first field blank then type "admin" (without quotes) then hit enter and u can mess around with ur settings there.
like so.
Capture.jpg

That would work zKilla, unless his brother changed the password for the configuration interface. But pushing the orange CISCO button on the router will reset it.

would it screw it up if i were to press that orange button for 15 seconds

like would it make it so i cant go on the computer again

no not at all, its sets everything to default settings. u'll be good to go.
Yeah, but he'll have to set up the router again and he might not know all the settings.

Connect your pc to the router with an ethernet cable and get into the router control panel by typing in 192.168.1.1 and typing in the password "admin" (assuming it hasn't been changed) and if you can get into that, you'll be good. Click the administration tab then click config management. Click the "backup" button and choose a location on your computer. Now open the file and find where it says "wep key" and that will be what you need. Keep that file for future reference.

Back
Top Bottom