Computer Over Heats!! Help

spikey007

Baseband Member
I just recently cleaned out my computer , by using compressed air, now there was a lottttttttttttttt of dust in there. So i cleaned it out right dust free. That was a week ago. So just recently when i'm using my computer for about more then an hr, simple web surfing n such, it just shuts off!! When i turn the computer back on it says something like computer was turned off because of thermal event, thats before it starts windows xp .

My cpu i have right now is a intel 2.8gh my computer is a dell dimension 3000.

I just dont know why its overheating!! can someone help me?? I took the case off yesterday and touched the heatsink and it was piping hot!!

I can post pics of inside the case etc etc , just please help me:eek:

DO i need to get a cpu fan??? theres no air flowing in the case at all, the only fan in there is blowing air out of the case

It didnt come with a CPU fan :eek:

wow....you definetly need one, even if it worked alright before!!

where can i get a cheap cpu fan?? i'm strapped for cash soo yea, and r they easy to install??? i think i have a socket 478 intel if that helps

i live in crestwood IL, newegg.com is a good website they have cheap stuff on there, should i check them out?

i'll probably go with the first 1, so when i install that what do i need?? and am i replacing the current heatsink with that 1??

yup, its far easier (and cheaper in the end) to just buy a new heatsink AND fan, and all youll need is thermal grease (reccomend Arctic Silver 5).

Its simple, all you need to do is take the old heatsink off, wipe the processor clean with a dry cloth (not wet!) to get any old thermal grease off and give a clean surface - then you apply a small amount of arctic silver on the processor, either a spot in the middle, or a thin line going diagnonally - and put the heatsink on top and voila - you plug the fan in and start the PC up and hopefully it will run alot cooler!

yup, its far easier (and cheaper in the end) to just buy a new heatsink AND fan, and all youll need is thermal grease (reccomend Arctic Silver 5).

Its simple, all you need to do is take the old heatsink off, wipe the processor clean with a dry cloth (not wet!) to get any old thermal grease off and give a clean surface - then you apply a small amount of arctic silver on the processor, either a spot in the middle, or a thin line going diagnonally - and put the heatsink on top and voila - you plug the fan in and start the PC up and hopefully it will run alot cooler!

oohh alright that sounds easy enough, but another question, where do i plug the power cord for the new heatsink/fan at?? is there supposed to be an female plug left over from the power supply?

Back
Top Bottom