A few questions about folders and temporary files

Thrasher

Daemon Poster
I've enabled hidden files and folders to be shown and I was looking for Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files but I got it confused with Local Settings\Temp because I couldn't find a folder for the first one, what's the difference between these folders? There's about 2000 empty tmp folders, these are used by programs therefore not safe to delete?

I deleted the 'copies of web pages, images and media' by the control panel and I'm going through all the cookies myself now but the amount of diskspace to use was set to something ridiculous like 2100mb I think, is 200mb appropriate?

My last question, I'm only running a Pentium 3 with an 80GB HDD so I'm always tedious about making free space, defragmenting, optimizing etc. I had a really long programs list on my start menu so I organized it in folders recently which has made it alot easier but I can't remove the 'Startup' folder which only has 1 useless shortcut in it.

Yet if I delete it, it responds "Startup is a Windows system folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be deleted". Moving it into another folder only duplicates it.

Startup.jpg

How do I get rid of this folder?

Cant you just on on it, and then left click?

Oh. maybe.

You need to disable it first, meaning if you only have on shortcut.

My last question, I'm only running a Pentium 3 with an 80GB HDD so I'm always tedious about making free space, defragmenting, optimizing etc. I had a really long programs list on my start menu so I organized it in folders recently which has made it alot easier but I can't remove the 'Startup' folder which only has 1 useless shortcut in it.

I dont think its possible, although you can make it hidden - tbh one folder wont make a difference to how fast the PC is :) Ive tried myself lots of times to delete it but i cant...

I've enabled hidden files and folders to be shown and I was looking for Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files but I got it confused with Local Settings\Temp because I couldn't find a folder for the first one, what's the difference between these folders? There's about 2000 empty tmp folders, these are used by programs therefore not safe to delete?

I checked that folder on two PC's, and both of mine are completely empty so i guess the answer is its safe to delete them all :) i use CCLeaner on both comps which is very good, and I think thats set to delete temporary files

As for cookies, unless you dont want to have to type in your password and username for every website you go to, its safe to delete them all (again CCleaner does this for you).

Incase you dont have it, its free and you can download it here.

I dont think its possible, although you can make it hidden - tbh one folder wont make a difference to how fast the PC is :) Ive tried myself lots of times to delete it but I can't...

Oh that part is mostly myself being too tedious haha I've hidden Startup and guess I can ignore it.

I checked that folder on two PC's, and both of mine are completely empty so i guess the answer is its safe to delete them all :) i use CCLeaner on both comps which is very good, and I think thats set to delete temporary files

As for cookies, unless you dont want to have to type in your password and username for every website you go to, its safe to delete them all (again CCleaner does this for you).

Incase you dont have it, its free and you can download it here.

I deleted all the tmp folders myself earlier but I'm running CCleaner now thanks, basically cleaning out everything, I've gotta close Firefox for it to run haha cheers +1.

Edit: more than 260mb of files removed I think, that's great.

Oh that part is mostly myself being too tedious haha I've hidden Startup and guess I can ignore it.

I deleted all the tmp folders myself earlier but I'm running CCleaner now thanks, basically cleaning out everything, I've gotta close Firefox for it to run haha cheers +1.

Edit: more than 260mb of files removed I think, that's great.

be sure to run the registry checker too, and backup before you make any changed (although CCleaner is unlikely to screw things up, better safe than sorry!) and do it a few times after fixing the problems the first time, since sometimes fixing soemthing creates another problem lol

lol Thrash your lucky you dont no about more files you can delete >.<

I know of some that gather when you open app's, im kinda OCDish when it comes to this stuff. -.-

When going into reg, is there alot you can get rid of there? I no you have to be careful too and all.

its better to use CCleaner with the registry than doing it yourself :)

it basically deletes any values that dont have a purpose, or missing .dll's or unused file extensions etc - you can choose what you want it to look for and what not to look for.

Back
Top Bottom