Design Your Dream System

William Burke

Beta member
....for under 1500 dollars.

I am looking to buy a new workstation and I want some input. I will be running Solidworks (a 3D modelling CAD package) and other computionally intensive programs for engineering work. I will also be keeping all my music (roughly 120G) on it. I want something that is fast but also a great value.

As far as baseline requirements, Im thinking...

3+ G RAM
Intel Dual core 2.2+
320G HD but i dunno what kind yet...
Windows XP pro
A nasty Gcard (open to suggestions)

I want this thing to scream, but I dont wanna waste my money. Haven't bought a new comp in over 5 years! Any help would be appreciated.

I have a few questions for you,

1) are things like monitors, speakers, keyboard, and mouse included in your price limit?

2) Does that price limit include shipping?

3) When it comes to graphics cards, I do have on important question for you. Do you plan on doing any mid-to-high-end gaming?

I'd consider a Q6600 Quad core chip, a new NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB graphics card, and a 500GB Western Digital Caviar drive. That, coupled with other decent parts, shouldn't cost you more than $1500 at all.

See my build in my signature? That all cost my apprx. $1500.

But if he's not gaming, a quadro card will do a lot better at rendering for engineering and CAD than the 8800.

If there will be some gamming involved, the 8800 would be the best choice since that physics processor can help render everything.

For the HDD, the Seagate Barracuda range are some of the best around at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom