To anyone who knows anything about subwoofers

joe pic

Fully Optimized
I found a rather large subwoofer in by basement, it's pretty old, but it looks solid.

What I don't understand is that it has 2 left (L & R) inputs and 2 right (L & R) output

My regular sub only has 1 L and R input...

My home theater receiver only has one L & R subwoofer output.

Is this some special kind of subwoofer? Why does it have 2 outputs and 2 inputs?

Its a possiblity that the subwoofer is also an amplifer, so it amplifies the sound it gets using the inputs and then outputs to speakers.

So you're saying I can plug both L & R wires from the receiver into the sub, and then plug both speakers into the outputs of the sub?

I'll be doing this with both my left and right front speakers... will I lose the 5.1 if I do this?

I'm afraid I don't know, but it definietly seems like the cross through kind, like what you get on computer speakers.

Try it, anyway.
If your reciever has a dedicated subwoofer channel though, theres a chance you won't get much bass anyhow putting it through that way, as your going to try to connect only the 2 fronts to it.

Try only plugging the subwoofer in's to the in's of the sub, but don't plug anything up to the outs. See if you get any bass.

I only have one subwoofer out on my receiver... so which input would I plug it into on the sub? L or R?

Hmm... I see what you mean.
Have you by any chance got one of those stereo to mono RCA jacks?

no it doesn't...

I tried the first method you said, plugging the L and R speaker output wires from the receiver into the amplifier's inputs, and then my L and R speakers into the amplifier's outputs.

both speakers work, and so does the amplifier (I can hear sound from it, little bass)

but now I have no sub connected. should I keep the amplifier? what is it currently doing for me?

I'm gonna have to say that it's an old school sub without an amp, least the way you are explaining. You would take the r and l fronts and run the + and - from that to the subwoofer and then out from the subwoofer to your front right and left speakers. This is how my old set of bose speakers worked. But without seeing a pic or a better explaination, I can't really be sure.

Back
Top Bottom