oem?

iamchickenlover

Daemon Poster
I did not know where to post this so i put here move it if you want.
If i buy an oem version of windows xp can i install it if i am not a "system builder"?

I don't really get your question, are you asking if you can install the OEM version of windows xp on a prebuilt PC such as compaq or HP? if so then yes you can.

You can use an OEM copy of windows xp on any PC.

This belongs in the general hardware and software area.. I can't fathom how you didn't think that was the right place.

ok I guess my first on made no sense.
If i build a system and want to install an oem xp installation can and will it still be genuine Microsoft software? Same with vista
i am not that smart.
than you.

@ O.P., the only difference between OEM and retail copies of software is retail comes in a box like you would buy at Best Buy. OEM is just an envelope of the same exact thing with a sticker you stick to the computer. Licensing and everything stays the same. Only difference is the packaging.

@ O.P., the only difference between OEM and retail copies of software is retail comes in a box like you would buy at Best Buy. OEM is just an envelope of the same exact thing with a sticker you stick to the computer. Licensing and everything stays the same. Only difference is the packaging.

Not quite. You see, the retail version of Windows XP/Vista require you to do an 'update' from an older one. For example, the retail version of Windows XP will only work on a system running windows 2000 or 98se or something like that already.

That or you must have the disc of the older OS while doing the install.

OEM on the other hand, does not have this limitation. Thats why it's called the system builder's.

So yes, if your building a new system, use the OEM version. Not retail.

Not quite. You see, the retail version of Windows XP/Vista require you to do an 'update' from an older one. For example, the retail version of Windows XP will only work on a system running windows 2000 or 98se or something like that already.

That or you must have the disc of the older OS while doing the install.

OEM on the other hand, does not have this limitation. Thats why it's called the system builder's.

So yes, if your building a new system, use the OEM version. Not retail.

Really? I thought they packaged both "Upgrade versions" and "Full versions" in retail attire. I didn't know that.

EDIT: It would appear to me that this is a full version of WinXP Pro and this is an upgrade version. :confused:

i bought a vista ultimate retail and for a new build and it worked just fine.
if i knew i could have bought the oem version i would have save me 200 bucks and ought an awe some keyboard and muse and a lot of energy drinks.

Back
Top Bottom