wireless internet and online gaming

mikee

Fully Optimized
when I move in april I will be getting wireless high speed internet because it will still be out in the country, is this any good for online gaming.

depends on what the speed your ISP is giving you. if ur getting anything higher then 5kbps then ur'll be fine. but if u have what i got 1.5kbps then i would suggest huggin ur router (thats what i like to call it)

Your ping times are more important than your actual download/upload although this is also important. Even though satellite has a decent download/upload speed ping times are horrible making gaming impossible.

I just got Verizon Wireless broadband yesterday since I'm in the country also. I'm just outside of EvDo coverage right now although the towers are currently switching. So hopefully in a few weeks or so I'll be getting EvDo. Ping times are way better than satellite once your connected to the servers.

Since I'm only in Nationwide coverage ATM my download/upload speeds are way slower compared to EvDo but around 4-4.5X better than dial up. I played a quick game of Lost Planet yesterday to test out the Nationwide coverage for gaming. I played a 8 Person match with little lag. Before a 4 person match on dial up killed my connection.

I know Superman22x is on Sprint and he's in a full EvDo area and I think he games pretty good. Check the coverages out. I kind of got screwed over by some shady practices but its still better than what I had.

Check out the review section later tonight i'll be putting a full review of the Verizon Wireless broadband.

Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀;754319 said:
I just got Verizon Wireless broadband yesterday since I'm in the country also.

I figured that would let you know why I don't get a wired connection. I think anyone that is looking at Wireless broadband or Satellite internet has probally already tried getting DSL or Cable or even a WiFI hookup.

It sure hell isn't for bragging rights since its way slower then todays DSL or Cable.

It seems to me anyone that has had Hi Speed available to them always says that. You don't realize there are still lots of places that don't have it.

Hell I just pay $59.99 a month for mine just because I like slower service than the a cheap $14.99 768K plan from Verizon. Common logic should tell you there is a reason why I'm on wireless broadband instead of a wired connection.

Sorry I don't mean to come off smart but really man there are parts of the country that can't get wired and you should realize this. Its expensive running cables and they don't want to do it until there are service repairs needed unless its a highly populated area. Why run $300,000 in cables to service 50 houses? At some point there going to have to even if they don't like it. But for now dial up is still a option which keeps them from doing it.

At some point there going to simply have to do away with dial up and provide everyone with faster coverages. I for one can't wait for that time to happen.

Since I choose to live outside of the city this is a headache I have to deal with. Lack of options and people like you asking why I don't get wired. A simple answer I like the peace and quite. I like being able to hop on my fourwheeler and drive down the lane and hit endless trails. I like not being crammed in my neighbors ass. I like my privacy. This is why I don't have a wired connection. /rant of lack of wired connections over :rolleyes:

My input: Ive been gaming with a wireless connection for a while now, and I notice absolutly no difference as long as I dont have a really poor connection to the router. I played CSS , COD4, and world of warcraft with a wireless connection for a while and I see no difference, you should be fine. Ive also used a 1.5mbs and 3mbs and 6mbs dsl connection and a 5mbs cable connection and they all have worked just fine. Just make sure you don't have a bootleg router lol.:cool:

Well, what kind of wireless are you getting? My sprint mobile broadband, works with halo 2 online, but games like bf2142 and quake wars lag a lot.

Back
Top Bottom