Computer Ramdomly Shutting Off

500watt is enough in my opinion. Its not a heat problem, heat problems don't occur within a couple of seconds of booting up. And if it was then the computer would worsen as the computer stayed on, and not just intermittently fail at loadup.

Perhaps corrupt boot partition? I don't have a lot experience with this kind of problem; so maybe someone else who has had experience recognizing and repairing these kind of problems could offer some input.

I don't know if a boot corruption would cause a complete shut off

i still think either the psu is bad or not strong enough.
do you have another one to test my theroy?

i still think either the psu is bad or not strong enough.
do you have another one to test my theroy?

My reasoning for ruling out the PSU is that the power-failures when they do happen, happen at a continuous point. Not just randomly when the computer is running. It happens consecutively, more or less, at the same point in the boot process.

Can't hurt to try i guess though if you do have an extra PSU lying around.

is everything snugg, your CPU HSF? make sure its all snugg. make sure all jumpers are set correctly. then make sure all connections are snugg and fit. then check back with us.
make sure ur PSU is big enough with this calculator
http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html
and if everything is good and still shutindown then go ahead and try a different PSU

When was the PC last cleaned out? have hoovered/blown out any dust inside the case, check the heatsinc for dust between the panels, if your graphics card has a heat sinc clean that as well, if its a new build then look at your PSU as people have mentioned before, try reinstalling windows only adding bits of software at a time then run it for a day or two to see if its stable, if it is then you will know that you have a software/driver problem which you will find when you install it and the problem reoccurs, Have you installed any new software lately that coincides with the problem starting?, I presume you have run an anti virus program as well.

When was the PC last cleaned out? have hoovered/blown out any dust inside the case, check the heatsinc for dust between the panels, if your graphics card has a heat sinc clean that as well, if its a new build then look at your PSU as people have mentioned before, try reinstalling windows only adding bits of software at a time then run it for a day or two to see if its stable, if it is then you will know that you have a software/driver problem which you will find when you install it and the problem reoccurs, Have you installed any new software lately that coincides with the problem starting?, I presume you have run an anti virus program as well.

Inside the case is cleaned

i checked both video cards they are clean

you guys are not going to believe this!

IT WAS THE POWER BUTTON THE WHOLE TIME!!!!

the button wasn't returning (I.E NO RETURN "CLICK")
I used to leave the computer one 24/7 then i had a roommate so i started turning it off and thats when it started!!
when i would turn it on the next day i remember i would have to press the power a couple of times before the computer would start and the button wasn't returning to the normal position and it would be pushed in half way just enough to make contact and randomly TURN OFF THE COMPUTER!!!!!

I can't believe i figured it out!!!!
I have a Thermaltake Xaser silver III
Looks like i am going to have to call thermaltake for a new power switch!

i would like to thank all you guys for your help i am very happy i figured this out!

Back
Top Bottom