Vista Ram Detection

cpeebles

Solid State Member
Alright, I have seen this issue discussed in a number of forums, but I have yet to see a final answer. I have 3gb of RAM installed in my machine and all was detected with XP sp2. However, I have recently ungraded(?) to Vista-32 and also purchased a BFG 8800gt 512. Vista system information only reports 2556mb or so of RAM while CPU-Z and my bios both register the full 3072mb.

It seems logical that the vid card is eating into the visible RAM (b/c of the difference b/w the two), but 1) I'm not exactly sure why..? and 2) is the RAM still functioning? I'd hate to have 500mb of RAM floating somewhere, serving absolutely no purpose.

Any definitive help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I should provide any more system information.

First of all, all your 3gb is being utilized so none is being wasted. Also, your vid card may very well be reserving those other mb as shared memory for your system.

thanks for such a speedy response. The apparent loss of RAM had me a little worried. :)

download vista sp1 apparently it has a fix so it can see upto 4Gb RAM now,

see if that helps if not its def for your vid card,

so because you say it doesnt see more than 2.7, does that mean it wont use more than 2.7? because it seems that because its there, it'd be used if the board can support like 8gb

Back
Top Bottom