a question for you car people out there

Spartan109

Fully Optimized
i just had my first day of the semester today, and i have some questions:

1. whats the difference between a motor and an engine

2. what is spec?as in "what is the spec of the part", whats min and max spec?

people commonly refer to an engine as a motor, however in my mind, a motor is electric and an engine uses some type of combustion

specs are like, 300hp (horse power) torque all that stuff, min would be like at 1000rpm your car puts out 100hp but at 3000rpm its putting out 150 or something like that

^^no, he said something about we take an engine apart and look up the spec for each part to tell how worn the part is

If he is talking about individual parts, spec refers to the overall dimensions and tolerances of the part.

IE the part is 12" long with a 3" diameter hole with a tolerance of +/- .005 Now if you pull that part and use a caliper and it reads 3.018" and the part is supposed to be 3.000" +/-.005 its .013+ out of tolerance (The amount its worn).

When doing engine work at work every part has certain tolerances and torque levels. A clutch would be a good example of something that has to be within the tolerance limit. If its not its going to slip and burn up.

^^no, he said something about we take an engine apart and look up the spec for each part to tell how worn the part is

ah ok, i thought he was talking about performance specs, misunderstood that...

but yea, as Äߧý∩†H♠H䎀 said, different parts have different specs about how they are to be assembled, he gave the clutch as a great example, and another one are the lifters and the valves, the lifter's have to be torqued just right, or they wont allow the valves to open or close fully, ultimately causing an engine to not run at all, or to run very poorly, there's a lot that goes into making one, although its a great way to fine tune your skills :) i've got 3 chevy 350's under my belt so far with my dad

well, the first thing we do in auto is take apart, inspect the parts, and re-assemble the engine replacing parts as neccesary. we are going to be doing it with a lawn morow engine, 4 stroke i think

whats the diff between 2 and 4 stroke?

Engine and motor are the same thing.

Spec means specifications, basically it's the information about the part.

A 4 stroke engine has 4 seperate strokes, intake stroke where the piston goes down and draws in the air and fuel mixture, then the compression stroke where the piston goes back up and compresses the air/fuel mixture, then the power stroke, where the spark plug ignites the compressed air and fuel and drives the piston down, then the exhaust stroke where the piston goes back up and pushes the burnt gasses out, this can happen anywhere from 800 to 8000 times a minute.

A 2 stroke engine is a bit harder to explain

http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke.htm

well, the first thing we do in auto is take apart, inspect the parts, and re-assemble the engine replacing parts as neccesary. we are going to be doing it with a lawn morow engine, 4 stroke i think

whats the diff between 2 and 4 stroke?

a four stroke means that the piston will go up and down (stroke) 4 times before outputting a power stroke, or combustion stroke, and you probably can guess 2 stroke... it takes the piston 2 strokes before a combustion stroke which is why 2 strokes sound faster and higher pitched because the exhaust outputs more

for visuals and in-depth explanation...

edit: tommy beat me to it... :) we are both Jr. fans, thats why we know ;)

a four stroke means that the piston will go up and down (stroke) 4 times before outputting a power stroke, or combustion stroke, and you probably can guess 2 stroke... it takes the piston 2 strokes before a combustion stroke which is why 2 strokes sound faster and higher pitched because the exhaust outputs more

for visuals and in-depth explanation...

edit: tommy beat me to it... :) we are both Jr. fans, thats why we know ;)
Oh yeah? I didn't know you were a Jr. fan.....:)

Which reminds me that I need to make a new avatar...

Back
Top Bottom