Asigning keys scripts in linux

Metalwolf

Baseband Member
Hey, I know a little bit about Linux but I have a question. Is it possible to set Linux up do that if you press a key it will run a certain script? I have a Linux router that I want to set bandwidth caps on certain computers and boost the bandwidth on others. Such as boosting the bandwidth on the port connected to the computer to my room and the living room, and limiting the bandwidth to the family computer room. A gaming mode so to say. After I'm done gaming with my friends I would press another button and the connection caps and boosts would reset.

You say that you have a Linux router. Does that mean the you have firmware on you router that is linux based? I am not following that. If that is what you mean then you would have to look at the source for the firmware, and write scripts for the bandwidth boost in there.

The only problem that I foresee with that scenario is you may have to do more scripting than you want to. You would have to write scripts for each and every port, determining where each cable or wireless signal goes. Wireless adds another aspect to the scenario, too.

Cheers!

Sorry, I should have been more clear on the last post. The router I'm currently using is DIY and running IPCOP. I want to build a new router but I plan to use Debian so do it. I figured I would have to write scripts for every port so that isn't a problem.

Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem. As long as you are willing to write the scripts for each port.

Just a question. Which release of Debian are you planning to use, because this sounds like a very interesting DIY.

I'm planning to use Debian 3.1, Sarge i believe. I'm going to use Firestarter to simplify the process.

Back
Top Bottom