Windows Media Player Error

glixon765

Baseband Member
I need some help in my situation. Whenever, I open up WMP I get an error saying "WMP has encountere a problem yada yada yada" you know the rest. I have tried updating my OS (Windowns XP), reinstalling WMP. But no matter what I can't do anything. I can maybe play a movie file if I cllick on it in a folder but after that the error message will come up and I need to close WMP down. I have also checked Windows support fixes but that did nothing. Anything you guys suggest on how I can fix this?

Maybe incorrect codecs. Doesnt seem like it but i guess it wouldnt hurt.. Google "k-lite mega codec pack" and download it. Then try it and tell me what happens.

VLC (VideoLAN) is a very powerful player and I've began using it everywhere, but this sounds strange for WMP to do. Is this a specific file you are trying to open, or any video file? play with multiple formats (AVI, MPG, and new and old WMVs, mainly), and out of curiosity tell us whether or not you have any trouble with audio formats (mp3, wav, midi, et cetera).
Oh, and if it is just one specific video or type of video, I highly recommend VLC --download it, and run the video with it. It not only can read a vast amount of formats (even ISOs of DVDs!) but if a video file is corrupt, it can still read some of it, and it attempts to reconstruct it.

I can play any movie file if open if choose to open it in a folder. But after it has played, this after one movie file, the error message will come up. Otherwise, if I try to open up WMP directly the error message will come up as soon as the program opens up. A couple days ago, I could play more than one video file by clicking on it in a folder but now I can't watch more than one.

The Windows Xp Codec Pack 2 did not work, I just now downloading the K-lite one. But come to think of it, if I remember correctly this problem started after I downloaded the DivX Codec Pack, which I have no unistalled. Could that have anything to with it?

Now this is really interesting... (I wish I was there to mess with it, actually). One thought is that, since Microsoft has that silly little online shopping stuff built in, maybe this has been changed (maybe by virus or spyware) to a fault of some sort. Another thought is that perhaps your library (the database where the "where is your songs and stuff" is stored) has been screwed up, which you can simply delete and let it recreate one upon next run....
Really, it's hard for me to say what it might be from this position. Think of things (such as these) that WMP might try to access after a successful execution of the video file, and look at these as suspects. If you have trouble getting into the properties and such, try running the file and, while the video is playing, editing the settings. In fact, you might want to look at these anyways to see if something looks "not right."

I've had DivX problems before. You might want to try that (if you still want to run DivX videos, VLC can do those, too).

lol it wouldn't be necessarily a bad idea.

I'm not trying to actually fix the problem for you --just give you leads to fix it yourself....

Back
Top Bottom