Sharing my wirelss with a wired pc

thomas49th

In Runtime
Hi, my pc is getting wireless from a router (downstairs). I have a computer next to mine, in my room which i want to have internet connection, but i dont have a wirelss adapter for it. I have plugged a etherenet cable form it to my pc, but how do i set it to allow it to share my internet connection?

Thanks

argh i hoped it wouldn't be like a usbs and need a cross over cable :mad:

anyway i have a GBs worth of files to transfer and i dont want to use a pen drive of external HD (nor do i want to put the other pcs hd in mine). Parallel and serial will be too slow... what should I use to get the data over? How much will it cost for a crossover cable from a retail outlet u reckon?

I'm not an expert on this but from what i've been reading lately if both nics are gigabit ports (1000 Mb/s) and they are fairly new then most likely they have autoswitching built into them. What this does is make it act like you are using a crossover cable when infact you are using just a patch cable. Get the model of your nics and search google to see if they do have the autoswitching feature. Hope that helps!

IceShooter isn't far off --most NICs can read whether or not you are using cross-over or not, and can self-adapt for your purpose. If your NIC is less than, say, five years old, most likely you have nothing to worry about with what kind of cord you have.
I'm going to guess that you are using WinXP, but other OSs (even Linux) usually have something about "bridging" connections, which is probably exactly what you want. First you make sure both networks (your wireless to the "host" computer, and the P2P network for the one you want to connect to the wireless). Afterwards, look at the information (it might be as simple as right clicking) on the wireless connection about Bridging that connection. It should be fairly straight-forward, but you can also find other information on it if you look.

Back
Top Bottom