slow pc....what can help?

Reformat.

What is so hard about reformatting for people? It takes about a day of your life and you can again use you PC to the best of it's ability. Or you can spend a bunch more money than the PC is worth upgrading the thing to make it faster. The only surefire way to get it up and going like it was new is to reformat. So what if you have to reinstall all your software and reset all your settings, I would rather do that than spend a couple hundred upgrading hardware in an attempt to make it faster.

Just get your Windows key using magical jellybean keyfinder, or look at the key on your tower. Get a copy of the version of Windows you have. If you have a key for XP Home, make sure you get a CD for XP Home. Back up all your data to CDs, DVDs, or an external or secondary HDD. Find any driver CDs you have, if you don't have them, download the drivers from the internet. Plug in the CD and restart the computer, it's pretty simple to reinstall Windows from there. When it asks for you to type in the 25 character key, find the key you had earlier and type it in. Once it's up and running install any drivers and then install all your software and you are all set with a speedier, less bogged down system; and it only took a day of your life rather than cash from your pocket. I dunno, which seems more logical? :rolleyes:

just on thing i want to clear up if ever need to reformat.

can i type in the same cd key that i used the first time and that i stuck on the side of my pc.
or do i need to get a new one

Yes, Cryman. YOu can use the same key you are currently using. If during activation you get a thing telling you it has been activated to many times then you have to call MS to reactivate it. But you can always use your same key. I think you have to activate it like 5 times before you will have to do it over phone though, so if you've only activated it just once, then you should be ok on that. Hope that wasn't confusing...

I think it's with OEM as well. I've used a bunch of different keys dealing with all types of computers, they all seem to work the same way, OEM or retail.

Sheesh, people! Is this person really going to reformat his hard drive before actually trying to resolve the issue at hand? Reformatting doesn't fix anything; it eliminates whatever is there, and takes a chance that whatever you have screwing up is gone with it.
Your computer's specs are beyond fine --especially memory. Chances are something like the antivirus is running in the background, taking resources and literally the time away that your computer would spend loading IE. Firefox (or any other browser) is definitely something to try. They are not evil. Otherwise you are just subject to Microsoft's bloatware. Maybe downgrading to IE6, and then upgrade back (perhaps it's a bad installation).

I've never liked IE on slower computers, especially the new one... it's a nightmare. Give Opera a try, I hear it's really low resource. Personally I use FF2 but Opera should fit the bill for you, if not... there are other problems at hand.

Back
Top Bottom