learning the basics --electronics and displays

ryokimball

Baseband Member
Good morning! I... well, I've abused this forum, sorry. I think I visited this place way back, but could have cared less about returning. I've returned, though... with questions, and I'm hoping that some might be willing and able to help me. (If it helps, I'll promise to become an active member if this thread turns out to be any success, for me or someone else).
You see, I found this really 'dandy' ebook about how computers work. Of course, this seems very basic, and to at least some of you none of this will be new, but it's got me curious and messing with things (mainly old books on electronics a bunch of gadgets that I've had lying around for who knows how long), and I've been wanting to just make stuff. Well, one thing I'm really interested in making is a ...well, anything with something besides a flashing light or two as an output. You see, as far as I can tell, there are standardized ways to display images or even text (I would love to turn an old Ogo into a basic word processor, perhaps running embedded Linux or something with nano or Vi on it). Anyways, I have this and several other old, mainly LCD displays that are capable of displaying pixilated images (like any monitor can), but I am incapable of finding any information on what to connect where, or anything about how to actually make the display show what i want it to show.
Does anyone know where I could find such information? Anything would be helpful, really; I'm pretty much stuck burning old chips with guess-work unless I find some documentation or a Guru on the matter (or I get lucky and find the right pins and such on my own...).

Good morning! I've been informed that I might not have been very clear on what it is I am asking. Well, here's another try:
I have grown up with computers, and perhaps having not taken advantage of all that i could have learned, I am now making up for lost time, starting with the very basics. Essentially, I want to understand how computers work from the very on-and-off switch to the pretty lights crawling across the monitor. I have been finding some good resources on how storage and processing work, and how the different parts can be put together and everything; I even understand (to some degree, at least) how monitors, especially LCD's, operate. What I'm trying to figure out now is where the processing takes place to put up, for instance, the little blinking line and text. I would guess that I'm looking for how video cards work, but I'm wanting to be able to work with or make stuff for smaller displays, not necessarily with the standard input of monitors. (I can see how this might be confusing now... sorry.)

Let me put it this way. See this link? See the display on it? I want to be able to take the display whatever I want on it.
(Hope that makes it clearer.)

The problem is that you're probably not going to be able to find something with an output that has a compatible input with that device...

If you're talking about cords and contact lines, I have solder and wires. Plenty, in fact. If you're talking about processing chips and that sort... well, that's kinda what I'm after. Although, honestly, I'd be content with finding out how to connect to a regular monitor with whatever gadget I create. I'm just wanting to find the standards (the documentation and methods used by all of the companies) to display the similar graphics on all different types of monitors or displays.

Back
Top Bottom